Waking up with a headache is quite a common problem these days. There is a link between sleep disorders and headache. It has been noticed that headache sufferers usually have a great problem of sleep disorders. Inaccurate sleep or late sleeping are two main important reasons of people waking up with a headache. Headache has many types such as cerebrovascular disease, infection of head, functional nervous disorder, neck sympathetic syndrome or migraine with atopic features. Treatment of headaches depends upon the reason for its occurrence. Some headaches are quite chronic and might need doctor consultation. Having a restful sleep can help you in improving these headaches.
Causes of Waking Up With a Headache
- Headache is stressful :- Stressful headaches are also common as muscle contraction headaches and psychological headache. This type of headache is frequent among middle aged female than male. In this type of headaches people often suffer with pain in the sides starting from the occipital side. People with depression or anxiousness also suffer from the same. This is one of the major reasons of waking up with a headache.
- Systematic headaches :- This type of headache is mostly noticed in middle aged men who are regular smokers. It occurs after 1 to 3 hours of sleep and then awakening with severe headache. This pain can occur continuously and may even last for a number of days.
- Migraine :- There are two types of migraine generally noticed :
- Migraine with warning symptoms – Migraine with warning symptoms gradually develop in 5 – 20 minutes and usually last for less than 60 minutes. This is followed by nausea, headache and photophobia.
- Migraine without warning symptoms – In this type the pain starts slowly and then becomes severe in some time. It is frequent during the morning after waking up and sometimes at night and hardly occurs during the daytime. It starts with the pain in the sides and gradually spreads to the skull and then to the face. It is often accompanied by vomiting, nausea, hypertension and bradycardia. It usually lasts for about few hours but often extends to few days and leaves with a soreness feeling in the head.
- Sleep disorders :- It is advisable that a person must sleep at least 7 to 8 hours daily. Sleep disorders are the most frequent and common problem of waking up with headaches. Nightmares, periodic leg movements, sleep apneas, noise, teeth grinding and medications are few reasons with can hamper your restful sleep. Nightmares usually keep people awake almost the whole night. You get a feeling of half awake and half asleep. Frequent nightmares have a bad effect on sleep and people might fear to sleep as the nightmare might occur again and scare them. Awaking in the middle of the night hampers sleep badly and all possible steps must be taken to avoid the same.
- Sinusitis :- Sinusitis causes insomnia, high fever, headaches, nostril discharge, wrestling, pus odor, pus mucus, etc.
- Diabetes and blood pressure :- There is a link between obesity, diabetes with insomnia and hormonal disorders. In addition to this even few sleep journals have indicated the relationship of sleep with heart diseases, high blood pressure and the most common is depression. People suffering from hypertension are the most common ones suffering from the problem or sleepless nights and thus waking up with severe headaches which may even last for few days.
- Dehydration :- Dehydration is often caused by insomnia and in turn will wake you up with headaches. Drinking enough water daily will not only quench your thirst but will also help you filtering your body waste and is better for your kidneys. You can even have cold water at times because it can help you to increase euphoria and will keep you alert.
- Medication overuse :- Once you are addicted to sleeping pills sleeping without its intake becomes difficult. Overdose of these pills can cause headaches, loss of concentration and fatigue.
Relief From Waking Up With a Headache
Few ways to get relief from morning headaches are listed below –
- Resting : – Resting does not mean that you sleep for hours and hours both in the day and night. It basically means to have a restful sleep. If you are too stressful try taking a short nap or listen to music or think about something else. Stay away from computer, television, texting in bed and reading. Also sleep in a place which is quite and does not contain any smell of strong perfumes. Avoid chewing gum and smoking before sleeping.
- Massage :- Massage is one thing which people usually never refuse. Massaging reduces the physical pain leaving behind a relaxing and pleasant feel. This method to relax is excellent for people working in office, having a habit of reading for long hours and suffering from fatigue. You can even use advanced massaging techniques to get the desired result. Head massage machines are widely available in the market these days which creates vibrations and provides massage and even improves circulation in neck and head. These machines provide massage as per your requirement and tolerance level ranging from high intensity to low intensity. If you feel that your head is paining just after waking up you can even use your hands to massage your forehead slowly.
- Drinking ample of water :- Drinking plenty of water will not only make you healthy but will also prevent headaches from occurring. Dehydration is also known to cause headaches so make sure you keep your body hydrated always.
- Taking a cold shower :- Headache is also caused due to dilated blood vessels. This pain can be reduced if exposed to cold water. Vasoconstriction is facilitated by cold water bath. Bathing helps you feel relaxed and will limit the headache triggers. You can even go for walks, jogging, biking and meditation to get relief from pain. Even these are sometimes effective.
It has been noticed that nearly half of the headaches are seen between 4 AM to 9 AM. Allow yourself to have a restful sleep of at least 7 to 8 hours daily. Both sleep loss and oversleeping triggers headaches. Hence accurate sleeping is important to avoid waking up with headaches. Change your daily routine and opt a healthy sleeping habit. This will surely help the person affected by morning headaches. Few ways to maintain a healthy sleeping habit are –
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time.
- Try to sleep for 7 to 8 hours daily
- Create a quite, dark and optimal sleeping space for yourself
- Avoid alcohol, nicotine and caffeine
- Avoid watching television, reading or texting in bed.
You can even go for a nice head massage or cold shower to relieve your pain. It is advisable to prevent headaches rather than treating them after they occur. Develop healthy habits to stay healthy. This is the best way to keep yourself away from waking up with a headache and you can also watch this video to get more information on Headache you wake up with