Overexposure to sun causes sun blisters. People with fair skin are more susceptible to sun blisters than people with darker skin. Development of sun blisters on lips usually depends upon the severity of sunburn occurred. Lips are that part of your body which is very sensitive so appearance of blisters on this part of your body can cause severe discomfort. There are a number of home remedies to cure these blisters at the earliest and to save you from unwanted embarrassment and get faster relief. Few of these remedies are mentioned below.
Related Post: Information about Swollen Lips
Home remedies for Sun Blisters on lips
- Application of soothing agents to get rid of sun blisters on lips
There are number of natural products which can be used to soothe sun blisters. These are listed below –
|Aloe Vera||Aloe Vera is known for its healing affect. It can help you to get rid of pain and discomfort. It is one of the well known cures for minor burns and sun burn blisters. Apply fresh aloe Vera gel over the affected areas and leave it for some time till it gets absorbed by the skin. This will help you to get rid of pain and discomfort caused by such blisters.|
|Cold water||Applying ice or cold water is also one of the common ways to relieve burning sensation. This can even work in case of sun blisters. Dab a towel in cold water and squeeze out the excess water if any. Apply it directly to the affected areas and repeat it several times until you feel better. This method will surely provide you instant relief. Avoid applying ice directly in case of sun blisters because it might worsen the condition.|
|Vinegar||Try applying white vinegar or apple cider vinegar in the burned areas. This will help to absorb heat from burned skin and thus relieving the burning sensation and accelerating the healing process. You can either spray the vinegar directly to the affected areas or apply it with cotton or soft cloth. Make sure you rub gently. You can even mix honey with vinegar and apply it to the affected areas to prevent infection from occurring.|
|Turmeric||Turmeric is known to contain antiseptic and healing properties. Mix some water and turmeric and make a smooth paste of it. Apply it to the affected areas and leave it for about 10 to 12 minutes. You can even mix turmeric with yogurt and barley and apply gently to the burned areas. Leave the paste for about 30 minutes and then wash it off with cold water. This will not only reduce pain but will also reduce inflammation.|
|Tomatoes||Tomato juice is also very effective to treat sun burns. Form a mixture of mashed tomatoes and buttermilk. Apply it to the burned skin to fasten the healing process. You can even try adding two to three cups of tomato juice to your bathing water and soak your body in the same. Combination of tomato paste with crushed ice is also effective.|
- Moisturize your slips :- Keep your lips moisturized always. Try applying lip balms with SPF content, vitamin E, wax and lanolin to keep your lips moisturized. You can even use vitamin E capsules to heal blisters. This is to best way to regenerate new cells quickly.
- Applying topical stuff :- Try applying antibiotic ointments and cooling agents like antihistamine or corticosteroid products to reduce inflammation and reduce the risk of infection.
- Take anti-inflammatory drugs :- You can even take anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen and acetaminophen to inflammation and feel less pain.
- Avoiding certain products
- Keep the lips covered :- Keeping the lips covered with a bandage is not practically possible. Try avoiding substances which can make the area itchy. Blisters on the skin can make the area very sensitive and require proper care. Try limiting exposure to sun to keep it away from further damage. Make sure you keep the blisters clean always. Unclean blisters can develop an infection which might worsen the condition. Avoid touching the blisters.
- Popping a blister :- It is advisable to not to pop the blisters. If the blisters become too uncomfortable to handle use clean needle to gently discharge the fluid in it. Do not try to remove the skin that covers the blisters because the skin beneath it has been damaged and requires protection.
- Avoiding petroleum based products :- Products containing petroleum, lidocaine and benzocaine can worsen the condition. Try avoiding the same till it heals completely.
- Spicy and heavy food :- Spicy foods or rich food can increase the irritation if it comes in contact with the blisters. Avoid such food till the blisters heal.
- Hot baths :- Do not take hot baths when you are suffering from sun blisters. Hot or warm baths will cause more damage to the sensitive skin.
Related Post: Overview of Lip Discoloration
Prevention for sun blisters on lips
Blisters usually occur due to overexposure to sun. Following are the ways in which you can prevent such sun blisters on lips from occurring-
- 10 AM to 4 PM is the time when the sun rays are the most intense. Avoid going out in the sun at that time. Stay in a covered area away from sun.
- Make sure you apply a good quality sun cream before leaving. Sun cream must be applied at least 20 to 25 minutes before you step outside. Applying it 20 minutes before leaving will give time to your skin to absorb the lotion and in turn will protect you from sun burn.
- Try applying sun cream every time you wash your face or get wet. Make sure that you always step out with a layer of protection on you.
- You can even wear a hat or use an umbrella to protect yourself from direct rays.
As we all know the well-known saying – Prevention is better than cure. Try to prevent the blisters from occurring by using sun cream before leaving, applying it every two hours, using a hat or umbrella, staying in a covered place during the time when the sun rays are intense instead of treating it after it develops. Sun blisters on lips are not only irritating but painful too. Try using soothing agents to relieve the pain and irritation. Number of soothing agents like Aloe Vera, tomatoes, cold water, apple cider vinegar and turmeric can be used to get instant relief. These are natural products which usually do not have any side effects. Avoid popping your blisters, using petroleum based products, eating spicy and heavy food and warm baths because this might damage the skin further more. Controlling these blisters from occurring is a difficult task but do try to prevent them.