Moles can be defined as dark spots that form in your body. Usually circular in shape, moles often resemble a larger version of a freckle. This dark patch in the skin usually comes in a reddish or brown hue and is often seen in many people’s body. Even though the red colored moles are no less insignificant compared to the brown hued ones, there might be cases when red moles are taken as a sign of an oncoming skin disease. In much grave cases, red moles can even be linked to earlier symptoms of cancer. Here in this article, we elucidate the causes and the respective treatment for the red mole so that you can take a cue from this and know when to go and check your mole out.
Reasons Why do Red Moles Occur?
Usually there are several varied kinds of red moles-
|Cherry Hemangiomas||These can be recognized as an abnormal growth of the blood vessels that cause the spots in the body to turn into a red or purplish hue. Also known by the names cherry angiomas, senile angiomas and Campbell de Morgan spots, these spots range within 1 to 4 mm in size. These are usually seen in spots like the heel area, the back, genitals or chest and even under the armpits.|
|Intradermal Melanocytic Nevi||These are the most common type of red moles that arrives in shades of light pink to red. The pigmentation quotient in them is considerably low with the spots sporting a slight raise. The size however remains the same without any change.|
|Pyogenic Granulomas||Since these moles tend to bleed slightly, people tend to rush to the doctor once it occurs, but actually these are quite harmless in nature. These are softer in texture as compared to the other moles and may often be subjected to surgery in order to remove it.|
|Triggered by Melanoma||Melanoma red moles are the serious kinds where they may even be cancerous in nature. They often tend to look suspicious and hence, if you ever encounter a mole similar to the Melanoma symptoms, it’s best if you seek medical attention immediately.|
|Similar causes||The other factors that may cause a red mole to appear in your skin are usually submissive in nature. These can be exposure to sunlight, heredity acquired, hormonal fluctuations and even ageing causes.|
Red Moles Determination and Diagnosis
If you ever feel the presence of red moles in your body is any where related to cancer cells or is malignant in nature, immediately schedule an appointment with your doctor to get right down to the matter. But before you do so, check out these pointers that will tell you whether you red mole is really cancerous or dangerous in nature or not.
To identify a dangerous red mole, here are the considerations-
- Asymmetry: If the mole sizes don’t match, it is better if you schedule a check up with your dermatologist. Usually asymmetrical moles are found to be cancerous in nature and therefore one should not take these ones lightly.
- Borders: While healthy moles take up a circular form, moles that come with borders, jagged or irregular usually are deemed to be malignant in nature. These are similar to those of the asymmetrical moles but instead these borders circle the entire parameter of the mole.
- Color: If the mole you have been harboring for a long time changes color, it could possibly mean it’s dangerous. Moles that never change their color are usually sorted to be non-malignant in nature, but if they start darkening, immediately look up a doctor.
- Diameter: If the diameter to your mole is small, it is thought to be harmless as compared to the moles that either grow in size over time or generally are large in diameter. The diameter change may be a hint of a issue broiling within.
- Elevation: It is common for a mole to be elevated or protruding but if the shape, size or color of it changes over the course of time it may not be a issue you’d want to ignore.
How to remove red moles that are non-cancerous ?
If the diagnosis determines red moles to be non-cancerous in nature, you can choose the treatment method you want to opt for, that is, if you want to opt for any treatment method. The treatments given below however are not FDA approved so always keep a consultation schedule with your doctor before opting for anything.
- Home cure
- Tea tree and olive oil: in a bowl, take two table spoons of refined olive oil and mix a tablespoon of tea tree oil in it. Stir the oils to mix them up before spot applying the oil on the spotted areas. Leave them to dry and once they do so, opt for a second round of massage.
- Eucalyptus and jojoba oil: to start off mix half a tea spoon of eucalyptus essential oil to 4 teaspoons of jojoba oil and then simply massage them right on the spots. After 30 minutes of no contact water wash them clean and if you experience no side effects to this, continue this treatment for about a month.
- Apple cider vinegar with a side of honey: it would take half a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a tablespoon of honey for you to get this treatment. Apply a thick layer using spot treatment on the moles and leave them out for about 20 minutes. Water wash them after that and if no side effects show up continue this for about 5 days.
- Similar others: lemon and lime juice mixed in jojoba oil, pineapples, baking soda, grapefruit, banana mash, fig or coconut oil are yet some of the home treatments that you can opt for.
- Medical attention
The medical treatments that are enlisted below can be opted for in case you want to remove or at least lighten the hue of your mole. They are-
- OTC mole remover ( these can also be used to cure skin tags or warts)
- Laser surgery to surgically remove mole
- Liquid nitrogen
In case you are not sure as to which option to opt for, consult your healthcare person. If the doctor in anyway feels the mole is not natural or is dangerous in nature, he or she will advise you to get rid of it. Mole removal is usually painless and quick.
When do red moles require a doctor visit?
In most cases that are seen, red moles are painless and not malignant in nature, but if you do feel that the red moles are suspicious or grave in nature, speak to your doctor about it. Follow you doctor’s guideline as to whatever he prescribes regarding the mole, be it monitoring, treatment or removal.
- If your red mole turns painful or oozes pus or is in any way suspicious and foreign than usual, immediately consult a doctor. A cancerous mole should be treated at the earliest possible stage to avoid permanent or serious issues later on.
- Disorders like skin cancers usually spread fast owing to its progressive nature. It is therefore advised that you get treatment at the earliest to prevent all odds from occurring.