Red Bananas are the member of the banana family which is smaller is size as compared to normal bananas. The skin of the red banana is red-brownish is colour and the colour of the inner flesh can range from off-white to cream and even light pink in some cases.
The touch and feel of a red banana is softer when compared to a normal banana and is also sweeter to taste.
Information about Red Bananas
History :- Red bananas are inherent to India and Southeast Asia. Through various trade routes, they have been transported to different sub-tropical and tropical regions where they have grown. Some of those regions are Southeast Asia, New Zealand, Australia, Pacific Island area and South Africa.
Availability :- Red bananas are easily available round the year and during all the seasons.
How to tell when red bananas are ripe?
A Red Banana is ripe when they have a reddish-brown texture and should be kept out of the refrigerator to avoid spoilage.
Taste :- Red bananas are smaller and heartier than an average normal banana. It should be consumed when it is ripe else it will taste like a dry and flaky starch like substance. When it is perfectly ripe, it will have a thick, bright reddish-brown skin and creamy inner flesh. The taste of this beautiful creamy flesh is sweet and soft.
Nutritional Value of Red Bananas
If you are looking to add some tasty, nutritional food to your fruit platter, then nothing can beat a Red Banana.
They are available all year round and can be easily found in local markets. They can be used as a replacement for the normal bananas without sacrificing on the nutritional quotient.
- Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fat :- An average Red Banana weighing 100 grams contains 90 calories and zero fat content. It is approximately 24 grams of carbohydrates which is roughly 7-8% of the recommended daily carbohydrate dose.
Out of these 24 grams, 16 grams is sugar content while 1 gram each is dietary fibre and protein.
- Essential Vitamins and Minerals :- The peel or the skin of the Red Banana is the powerhouse of essential vitamins and minerals. A 100 gram Red Banana has 3% of your daily recommended dose of Vitamin A and 15% of Vitamin C. Though it does not contain any amount of calcium or sodium, it does contain iron which is essential mineral for the body. Red Bananas are also a great source of Potassium and Vitamin B6.
- Sugar Content :- Red Bananas are a good source of beta-carotene and sugars obligatory for the energy required by the body for day to day activities. All kinds of bananas contain three types of sugars: Fructose, Glucose and Sucrose which provide immediate and maintainable energy for the body.
How to pick the perfect Red Bananas?
Picking the perfect Red Banana is a not an Einstein’s job! Look for bunches that are firm and have no cuts, marks, bruises or spots on the peel. Pieces with a reddish-brown look are ripe and good for immediate consumption.
How to store Red Bananas?
Putting the bunch of Red Bananas in the refrigerator is not a good idea as it can lead to spoilage. Keep them out in room temperature so that they can ripen with time, if required.
Benefits of Red Bananas
Red Bananas are highly nutritious in nature and contain adequate amounts of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, mineral and sugars for the body. There are a variety of benefits of this nutritional fruit for the human body. They are:
- Weight Loss :- Red Banana is calorie wise low and has a low glycaemic index. These values combined, make it a wonderful delight for weight loss. One Red Banana can fill your stomach for a meal without having hunger pangs for several hours. They can help you in following a nutritional diet plan and are a blessing for those who wish to lose weight.
- Relief from Constipation :- Since Red Bananas are a great source of dietary fibre, they can do wonders when it comes to getting relief from constipation. A single banana can compensate for the body’s daily requirement of dietary fibre. It is therefore highly effective in patients with piles which is caused by irregular bowel movements and chronic constipation disorder.
- Metabolism and Digestive Health :- Dietary fibre also helps in keeping metabolism intact and improves digestive health.
- Heart Diseases :- The high fibre and potassium content in Red Bananas make them a power dose for those who are at a risk of heart disease or heart ailments. Potassium is a must have for the body as it regulates electrolyte levels and fluids in the body. It also plays a vivacious role is maintaining the heart muscles and pulls the blood to various parts of the body. It is a very good remedy for Angina Pectoris which is also a symptom of a possible coronary artery disease. Here’s how it helps:
- Take 20-30 grams of honey and 300-350 grams of Red Banana flesh
- Mix them together in a bowl
- Eat once a day on empty stomach for 15-20 days
You will surely notice relief from angina pain.
- Anaemia :- Being a good source of iron and Vitamin B6, Red Bananas help in beating deficiencies like Anaemia. It helps in maintaining red blood cell metabolism and producing haemoglobin.
- Enhances Immunity and Prevents Cancer :- Red Bananas contain Vitamin and a colourful substance that helps in boosting immunity and preventing cancer. They also contain anti-oxidants that combat free radicals, thereby further reducing the risk of cancer.
- Helps in Quitting Smoking :- The potassium and magnesium content in Red Bananas help in combating with nicotine withdrawal. It fights off the side effects caused by cessation of nicotine from daily routine and reduces nicotine craving. This helps a great deal in coping up with the stress and anxiety which a person goes through after quitting smoking.
- Quick Relief from Heartburn :- The antacid effect of a Red Banana makes it a great remedy for heartburn caused by acidity. Daily consumption of Red Bananas can really help in getting over reflux diseases and heartburn.
- Relief from Frequent Urination :- If you are troubled with frequent urination and wake up several times during the night to ease yourself, then Red Bananas are a good remedy for you.
- Take 150 grams of Red Banana pulp, a spoon of brown sugar and 30-40 ml of amla juice
- Mix the three ingredients together in a bowl and eat two times a day for best results
Try this for at least 10 days.
- Red Banana for Fertility :- Red Bananas work wonders when it comes to fertility. It helps in increasing the sperm count in men. Vitamin B and Bromelain enzyme found in Red Banana are responsible for the increase in sperm production.
- Leucorrhoea :- Combining milk with a tea spoon of honey with a Red Banana can help in dealing with Leucorrhoea.
- Morning Sickness :- A Red Banana a day can keep morning sickness away! It comes as a rescue for pregnant ladies that have a tough time with early morning sickness during pregnancy.
- Pica :- Pica is a condition in which pregnant women and children get the urge to eat soil or clay. Red Bananas are very helpful when it comes to Pica.
- Benefits of red banana for Skin :- Red Banana comes with nutrients like vitamin A, C and B6 which are essential for a healthy glowing skin. High anti-oxidant content guards the skin from oxygen free radicals which are harmful and prevents skin ageing. Also, because of high water content, Banana helps in skin hydration and prevents it from drying and flaking. You can make a face pack and apply for fabulous results. All you have to do is:
- Mash a Red Banana pulp
- Add a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice each
- Mix them well and apply it on your face
- Make sure you cover your entire face, including the neck area
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes
- Wash with plain or lukewarm water
Repeat the process weekly for stunning results.
- Red Bananas Hair Benefits :- Potassium, natural oils, vitamins and carbohydrates present in these bananas provide nourishment to the hair making this soft and lustrous. They also guard the hair’s natural elastic property and growth of split ends which result in hair breakage. Red Banana is also a good remedy of tackling dandruff and dryness of the scalp. You can make a hair mask and apply it for surprising results. All you have to do is:
- Take a Red Banana and mash it well
- Mix the mashed product with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, olive oil and almond oil
- Apply the mixture on your hair and scalp evenly
- Make sure you cover the hair ends
- Wash with plain or lukewarm water after 30-40 minutes
Avoid using hair dryers or hair styling appliances immediately.
- Red Bananas for Babies :- It forms a perfect meal for new born babies as it contains essential nutrients required for the baby’s development and also tastes sweet.
Is Red Banana safe during Pregnancy?
Yes! Red Bananas are absolutely safe during pregnancy. They keep the nutritional quotient at bay in a pregnant women’s body and also helps in dealing with pregnancy effects like morning sickness.
Is there any condition when one should not consume Red Bananas?
Patients who are restricted from consuming Potassium should keep away from Red Bananas, especially those who are suffering from kidney failure or other kidney disorders.
Pictures of Red Bananas
Here is how a Red Banana looks:
Picture 1: Red Banana plant
Picture 2 :- Red Banana tree
Picture 3 : A beautiful bunch of naturally grown red bananas ripe
Picture 4 : Red Bananas inside view