While we blame the potent eye problems as the most causes for the pain behind left eye, the usual complain that we hear from a lot of people would tell you about two kinds of eye pain. either it is the constant kind going steady with the pain or the sudden bursts of shooting agony experienced at intervals. one of the symptoms for this is droopiness of eyes along with pupil contraction, stuffed nose, tearing of the eye, sensitivity to light and reddening. Headaches too have been deemed to one of the causes for such pain and for this many home remedies are always available. The treatment for these, however, is based on the cause of the pain.
Reasons for the Pain Behind Left Eye to Occur
the jolts of pain are usually limited for a short duration as the pain behind left eye usually would stick around for a range of about 15 minutes to even 3 hours. These would appear without any warning and move away the same way. The drooping, reddening and tearing eye can be caused by many such reasons like the ones included in the following:
- Eye problems
A lot many times, eye problems are sighted to be one of the reasons the pain occurs and at mediocre levels, these can be easily treated without much hindrance. However, at chronic or serious stages, a medical attention should be levied for the eye pain.
|problem||Cause for the pain behind left eye|
|Drying of eyes||Dryness of the eye can be one of the causes for the discomfort, itching and stiff pain. These are usually caused by sitting in front of a computer unprotected for too long an hour. Eye drops are always there to fight the dryness whereas resting of the eye is equally important.|
|Scleritis||A swelling or a kind of inflammation that can often be related to the different forms of arthritis and gouts. Usually treated using steroids, the usual symptoms for this include reddening of the area and acute pain.|
|Orbital inflammatory syndrome||Even though the symptoms or the side effects are same as any other eye issue, the diagnosis or treatment for this can only be determined by a CT scan.|
|Optic neuritis||In this case, the symptoms come and go and are of temporary nature as the main issue is caused by the inflammation of the optic nerve in our eye that causes vision problems and pain. A good treatment procedure for this is steroids.|
Headaches form yet another cause for the pain behind the eye and there are different headache types that follow. Usually, these can be a counter residual side effect to medication, but in a case of the serious kind, proper medication is required.
|Headache types||Cause for the pain behind left eye|
|migraine||Although the doctor’s have not given a definitive reason for migraines to occur, the fingers are usually pointed at the blood vessels where the headaches usually grave in nature comes with side effects like nausea and vomiting, lethargy along with sound and light sensitivity.|
|Cluster headache||Usually localizing a spot on the area, say one side of the head or behind the eye, cluster headaches are dead serious in nature and may cause one of the most serious kinds of headaches. these pain arrives and leaves within a week.|
|Tension headache||Headache caused by tension and stress is one of the most common types of headache that appears just about anywhere during a time of extreme mental pressure and not necessarily behind the left eye.|
|Sinus headache||Caused mainly by sinus infections, the usual place for this would either be the bridge of the nose or the underneath of the eye socket but often the pain may travel to the spot behind the eye as well.|
|Hormone headache||Head ache behind the eye can also be linked to flatulence of spiking hormones when the hormone level change may result in severe head or eye pain. this is common in cases of pregnancy or menopause when women experience hormonal spikes or drops.|
- Nerve problems
A condition called cranial nerve palsies is often deemed to be the reason behind a faulty pain in the left eye where this painful experience revolves around constricted blood flow to the eye and in case this occurs, a doctor’s consultation is of paramount importance.
Treatments, Cures & Remedies for Pain Behind Left Eye
- Home care techniques
Before you go visit a doctor why not try out some of these home tips for a change.
- Lifestyle and care: exercises to add strength to your eye muscles are of great help as you are advised to rest your eyes well and eat fairly healthy. A regular checkup once in a while would also do great.
- Alternate temperature: either you can soak your feet in hot water and your hands in cold or simply alternate the warm and cool compress to elevate headache or eye pain.
- This exercise: here’s an exercise for you to help. Start by lying down on a hard surface with your hands behind your head. Now locate the base of your skull at the nape of your neck and press the area lightly as you allow your head to fall back as you maintain the position for a while.
- Health quotient maintenance: eating and drinking healthy always helps you as you try to cut down on the alcohol or smoking which would help you in getting rid of headache. Hydrating yourself fully takes care of pain and headache as well. Cutting down on processed foods or hormonal medications come into the equation as well.
- Over the counter cures: pain relievers from any nearby medicine or drug store can help you get temporary relief from the headache part. There are OTCs specially manufactured for simple headache or migraine relief like Ibuprofen, Tylenol and other medications.
Here’s a video on quick headache removal during pain behind left eye-
- Take care of the subduing health
Keep these medical cures handy for the pain behind left eye to easily slide away:
- Eye checkup: to get rid of the constant eye pain, the best way to go about it is to regularly schedule appointments with your doctor and treat the symptoms in its early stages. The doctor would surely prescribe some treatments that would make this journey easier.
- Headache cure: Headaches may occur owing to different kinds of problems during pain behind left eye and so once again consult a health care provider who on requirement would prescribe the preferred dose to reduce the intensity of the condition. Then there are people who opt for ancient cures like acupuncture or say massage therapies or biofeedback to get rid of the pain.