Tired of the inhaler and allopathic treatment? Want to try out natural remedies for asthma?
Well, this post will surely make your life easy, but before we start with remedies lets first learn what asthma is?
Asthma is a lung disease and can be troublesome, as it makes breathing difficult. Sadly the exact causes of Asthma are still unknown, thou in some instances it gets triggered by air pollution, weather conditions, food, allergies and other respiratory infections.
Some of the other causes are:
- Smoke and tobacco
- Premature birth
- Lung infection during childhood
- Foods, like soy, eggs, fish, peanuts, etc.
Symptoms of Asthma
There are 8 major symptoms of Asthma that are listed below:
- Wheezing (on expiration)
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty in breathing
- Feeling tiredness
- Cold and cough (Frequently)
- Uneasy sleep
Now since you have a fair bit of idea,what asthma is and what are the symptoms of asthma, you must now be looking for natural remedies of asthma. But before you read about natural food and supplement store or herbal supplements alley you should know that the natural remedies for asthma are 100% safe and effective. In fact, 40 percent of people with an allergic problems try natural remedies for this reason. So now we can move to some scoop of health whoops on natural remedies to help, those looking for help.
Top 10 Natural Remedies For Asthma
- Ginger : Ginger has many health benefits and is very effective and well-known for asthmatic treatments . Ginger helps in inflammation and reduces airway contraction. Many types of research and studies have shown that it has compounds that enhance muscle relaxant effects of quite few asthma drugs.
- Mix ginger, honey and pomegranate juice in equal quantity and start consuming one tablespoon of this mixed juice twice or thrice in a day for better results.
- You can even try with 1 teaspoon of ground ginger mixed with one and a half glass of water and start consuming 1 tea spoon while sleeping at night
- Another option is that you mix one tablespoon of honey with two tablespoons of dried fenugreek seeds and soak it for night and start consuming it every day in the morning and evening , it will help in detoxifying your lungs
- Cut Ginger into small pieces and add it to a glass of boiling water, keep it for some time and when it get normal you can simply drink it.
- If you don’t want to any of the above simply take raw ginger mix it with salt and start to try it.
- Mustard Oil : During asthma attack you can massage with mustard oil as it will help in clearing respiratory passages and simultaneously will also help to restore normal breathing.
- Mix mustard oil with camphor , heat it (not too hot) and massage it over the chest and upper back until the person with asthmatic gets some relief , this will make chest warm and bring relief to the person.
- Do it many times in a day till its symptoms subsided.
- Figs: Figs is another very effective natural home remedy for asthma patients. Figs have nutritional properties that promote respiratory health and its help draining phlegm and alleviating breathing difficulties.
- Soak 3-4 dried figs after washing in glass of water overnight. Consume these soaked dried fig on an empty stomach along with the water in which it was soaked overnight for better results, continue doing it for few months and it can bring in some positive results
- Black Tea/ Coffee : Coffee contains caffeine in it which helps in controlling asthma attacks, caffeine acts as a bronchodilator during asthma attacks..
- Coffee helps in clearing air passage and thereby makes way for the air to pass through which means it helps in making breathing easier.
- For better results try consuming strong coffee, stronger the coffee, the better it is.
- hot black tea is another option in case you don’t like coffee
Note : Excess of everything is bad hence don’t overdo it and make sure you do-not go beyond 3 cups in a day
- Onions : Onions comes with anti-inflammatory properties, which helps in clearing air passages and it also contains sulphur content that helps to decrease inflammation in the lungs.
So, in case you are suffering from asthma, start consuming raw onions and if you do not like or don’t have the bearing capacity to eat raw onion you can eat cooked onions or add onions in cooked vegetables.
- Eucalyptus Oil: It is one of the most effective ways of treating asthma symptoms. Eucalyptus Oil has decongestant properties. Eucalyptus Oil has a chemical called eucalyptol that has the capability to break up mucus as per the researches
- Take steam of boiling water mixed with few drops(2-3) of eucalyptus essential oil :Take few deep breaths and It will help in air passage or nasal passage faster
- keep a paper towel (Add few drops of eucalyptus oil on a paper towel) by your head while sleeping.
- Honey : Honey is amongst one of the most widely used natural remedies for asthma, Honey contains alcohol and ethereal oils which help in reducing asthma symptoms. Mere inhaling the smell of honey have many times produces good results for some people, hence, you can inhale the aroma of honey to see if it works for you.
- Start consuming hot glass water mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey twice or thrice in a day
- Before going to sleep just consume 1 teaspoon of honey along with ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder, it will help in removing phlegm from the throat thereby making your sleep better
- Milk : Consume a glass of milk(warm) mixed with few drops of olive oil and honey(equal quantity) along with 2-3 garlic cloves, before breakfast and this acts as an antidote to attacks(asthmatic).
- Boil 5-6 teaspoons of milk with crushed cloves and consume it regularly.
- Boil 2-3 cloves in 1/3 glass of milk. let it cool down to room temperature, once it does consume it
Note : Not recommended to people who have lactase deficiency or are allergic to milk
- Lemons : Asthmatic patients usually have a low level of vitamin C. Lemons are very rich in vitamins and antioxidants which help reducing asthma symptoms. Lemons should be consumed atleast once in a day with water and sugar.
- Drink a glass of water Mixed with lemon juice and sugar(as per your taste) on a regular
- Take a some fresh radish juice and Mix it with honey and lemon juice, consume it.It helps to clear up respiration track (helps in making breathing easy)
- Regular consumption of Soup made up of radish, honey, and lemon juice is very beneficial for the asthma patients, they help to detoxify respiratory tract.
Note: Avoid bottled lemon juice and citrus fruits during asthma attacks if they act negatively
- Carom Seeds : Carom Seeds are also known as ajwain (in India) and Bishop’s weed , is very useful in treating mild asthma. The Carom Seeds act as an a bronchodilator by dilating the bronchial tubes in the lungs.
- Take steam from boiled water mixed with a teaspoon of carom seeds(you can even drink this boiled water)
- Make a paste of jaggery and carom seeds, heat it and start consuming 1-2 teaspoons on a daily basis (twice) until you get some relief.
- Heat few tables spoons of carom seeds after wrapping it up in a piece of cotton cloth
- Take handful of carom seeds wrap it up in piece of cotton cloth, heat it and when it’s hot just place it on neck and chest until it cools, do it daily until you get desired results
Note : Not recommended for diabetics patients
Bonus tips besides natural remedies for asthma!
- Quit smoking and stay away from those who are smoking
- avoid fireplaces
- Practice : – deep breathing.
- avoid fried and oily food
- Check-up every 6 months (to check if you are allergic to anything)
- use inhaler in case of sudden congestion
- In winters avoid consuming cold things
- Be very particular about medications.
- In winters or during cold weather wrong something warm around your mouth and nose.
- Have smaller but frequent meals and do-not eat before going to bed
- Always use an aspirin-free pain killers in-case you are allergic to anti-inflammatory and non-steroidal drugs
- Add spices and herbs like ginger , turmeric, rosemary, oregano and sage to your cooking
- Include fresh vegetables and fresh fruits to your diet.
- Say no to pre-packed and processed and foods with preservatives.
Note : Please do consult your doctor before you start with these Natural remedies for asthma to ensure that you do not meet any side effects.