Acne can be anything from pimples to rashes to zits of any sort, and can affect any part of the body. Acnes are known to affect the back, arms and legs, and of course, the face. Many things can give rise to acnes, including stress, hormone imbalance, and dirt and sweat, however mostly, acnes are known to affect only teenagers, though adults also suffer one or two acnes occasionally. Acnes can hamper anybody’s self confidence, and hence need to be nipped in the bud. So first, let us have a look at some of the home remedies that we can try to clear up acne problems, before turning to medical treatments.
Home remedies to Clear Up Acne
Home remedies are the best and safest option to get rid of acne effectively. The basis of these home remedies depend on keeping your face as clean as possible, because accumulated dirt and sweat is still the biggest cause of acnes.
Using right face cleaning technique
The perfect face cleaning technique comprises of 4 stages: cleansing, exfoliating, toning and moisturizing. We will study about each of the stages in details now.
- Cleansing – It is important to maintain a healthy cleansing routine for the face. Make sure to wash your face at least twice a day, first when you wake up in the morning, then again before you go to bed. This will not only get rid of all the accumulated germs and bacteria, but also reduce the oil content of the skin. Also, remember to wash your face properly after removing makeup. In fact, you should make it a point to wash any area which is prone to acne attacks.
- Exfoliating – Exfoliation is basically the process of removing dead cells from the skin. It is a key step if you want to get rid of acne. Quality exfoliating agents can be found at any medical shop or beauty shop. If you have dry skin, make sure to add some ground coffee to the exfoliating mixture. Those with sensitive skin can use oatmeal honey with the exfoliating agent.
- Toning – Toning is the third crucial step after cleansing and exfoliating. It is done to tighten the pores of the skin so that further oil and bacteria cannot clog those pores. Of course you can buy toners at any beauty store or even the drug store, but you can also make your own homemade toner with apple cider vinegar or witch hazel.
- Moisturizing – The last and final step is to moisturize your skin after the extensive exfoliation and toning routine to make it soft and supple. It also prevents dehydration of the skin, as dehydration can lead to the drawing of oil from the body itself, leading to more acne development.
Using anti-acne products
The next step to get rid of acne is to use products that can hinder the development of acne. The following ingredients can stop the growth of acne, so make sure to buy products containing any of the following ingredients.
- Salicylic acid and Benzoyl peroxide – Remove dead cells
- Sulfur – Slows down oil production in the skin
- Retinoid – Helps clean pores to remove accumulated dirt and bacteria
- Azelaic acid – Reduces inflammation of the skin caused by germs and bacteria
Homemade acne prevention remedies
- Baking soda – Apply a paste of baking soda and water to the acnes every night before going to bed, and rinse and scrub it out the next morning to get rid of the dirt.
- Garlic – Make a paste of 2 or 3 cloves of garlic with water and apply it to the acnes every day. Let it rest for about 15 minutes before washing it away with cold water. Be mindful of not leaving this paste on for more than 15 minutes as that can have adverse effects on the skin.
- Milk of magnesia – Apply some milk of magnesia to the acne and leave it on for about an hour or two. Wash it off with cold water. You should perform this remedy at least 2 to 3 times every day.
- Tea tree oil – Tea tree oil is widely known for its anti-acne properties. Apply a tiny bit of this oil to the affected skin and let it sit for a while before washing it off. However, make sure to not use too much of this oil as it can have a burning effect if used in excess.
- Cucumbers and oatmeal – The combination of oatmeal and cucumbers can free your skin of any sort of irritation or inflammation. Create a paste containing equal amounts of oatmeal and cucumber and apply this paste to the acnes, leaving them on for about 15 to 20 minutes. Wash the face with warm water and see the results for yourself.
The video below presents natural ways to reduce acne from your skin
Dermatological Treatments to Clear Up Acne
There are also many medical and dermatological approaches to get rid of acne. These are quicker in the results than homemade remedies, and hence, are more favorable.
- Laser and light treatment – Laser and mild pulses of colored light can destroy all the oil accumulated in the skin pores, thus hindering any growth of acne or pimples. They can also get rid of the bacteria in one go.
- Microdermabrasion – This method basically gets rid of the uppermost layer of the skin over a period of a few weeks or even months.
- Spa facial – Spa facials make use of all sorts of cleansing and exfoliating tools to help us get rid of acne
- Facial peel – In this method, a type of acidic gel is applied to the skin and allowed to rest for a little while. Then the peel is slowly and gently taken off the skin, and the face is washed. This method helps in the removal of both bacteria and dead skin cells, giving you a fresh and youthful look.
- Prescription drugs – There are many prescription drugs that you can use to get rid of acne. Of course, you will need to first consult a skin doctor or face specialist before you can get access to these medications.