The question of the hour is how to change your voice? To determine the sound or density of your voice, it is not only the vocal cords that come to importance but the physiological factors too are required. As you pass your puberty period, your adult voice sets in, the one that remains for the rest of your life. Often at times, environmental factors or your surroundings can be a vital agent in processing your voice and projecting it in a different manner. It is never possible for you to completely change your voice, i.e. going from a high to a low or vice versa. However, there are some techniques or methods that you can imply to make slight changes in your pitch that would help you bring out the best in your natural voice.
How to Change Your Voice – Some Tips
One can resort to changing their voice by changing the way they pronounce the words or the sentences. Imitating your desired voice or pronouncing in a certain manner can get you to make a slight change in your voice.
- Shift the Place You Pronounce
To speak in a different voice you need to balance the vital organs that play an important role in producing your voice. They are your nose, throat and diaphragm.
- Diaphragm: Placed right in between your lungs and your stomach is a large band of muscle that we identify as the diaphragm. To facilitate the voice coming from your diaphragm, you need to place your hand on the abdomen present right below your ribs. Make your stomach blow a little now as you breathe in to speak. The chest however should not be blown. To improve resonance of your voice in case your vocal volume is less you can try this method of speaking.
- Throat: To speak from your throat, try pinching your nose in while holding on a note. This relaxes the throat muscles thereby allowing you to improve your speech. In case you have screeching or a squeaky voice, the vocal folds need to relax in order to add depth or density to the voice. For the ones who have a nasal way of speech, pushing the air from the sinus to the throat may help solve your nasal tone.
- Nose: If you are wondering how to change your voice especially the hoarseness or the coarse speech, try speaking with your nose. For this start by practicing on how to inhale through your mouth and then exhale through your nose. Small breaths of 4 or 5 should be enough as you hum a little before you speak. Keep mouth especially your tongue small at this time. to get rid of the stuffy voice caused by a nose blockage or sinus inflammation, reopen your nasal pathway and speak from it.
- 2. Use Some Techniques
For a singer or an actor their voice makes or breaks their careers which is why they learn up methods to keep their voice in real good condition. Some of the many techniques to assist in your voice change would be-
- Lip Thrills: The lip thrills method would allow you to relax your vocals and your closed chords. Close your lips gently and blow air through it. In this case the lips gently grazing against each other should vibrate just a little bit. Now add short or long vowel sounds in different pitches.
- Nay-Nays: To practice your nasal speech this particular technique would be of much help. The technique asks you to improvise a situation where you pretend to taunt someone using a brat like voice as you speak the words ‘nay-nay’. Always leave a gentle after buzz in your sinuses whilst practicing this method.
- Ahhhs: The Ahhhs technique is practically helpful if you are trying to lower your vocal pitch. This is especially applicable for people who has a squeaky or a high pitched voice. Inhale deeply opening up your lungs and then follow that by a slow exhale as you mouth the words “Ahhh”. Linger the word as much as possible.
- Oh-Ah-Oohs: Here’s another technique on how to change your voice. Start by inhaling deep and then repeat the words “oh-ah-ooh” again and again. A glottal stop and emphasis on the dipthong of each syllable is required. This needs to be energetic and upbeat so don’t take long pauses within. This would make your vocal chords constrict just a bit.
- Imitation Works
If you have a favorite set of voice try imitating that. It can be anyone’s your favorite singer or actors. Start by analyzing the cadence, tone, enunciation and the pitch. Practice should include modification of your own voice as you curb the essence of the favorite voice and produce the pronunciation or sound in the manner of the favorite voice. Once you catch on to the imitation you can filter out the parts you like the best and use them as you voice.
How to Change Your Voice- Disguise
If the change part is too hard to achieve, the next best thing to do is try and disguise your voice by using various techniques or methods-
- Muffle Your Voice
To know how to change your voice, some preliminary knowledge regarding it is necessary. The voice you produce usually travels in a sound wave format and passes on through various mediums. The sound waves transmitting through the air will be different than the ones that pass on through a solid or a liquid medium. To muffle your voice, place an obstacle directly over your mouth, say your hand holding a handkerchief or a solid object. This would produce a classic dramatic effect. The obstacle in front of your mouth is usually creating a hindrance to the free flow of sound waves which in turn interprets and changes the way your voice is perceived.
- Speak in Monotone
If you limit the usage of many emotions while speaking your voice immediately starts sounding different. For instance, when you ask a question the tone or the voice usually ends in a higher intonation. If you speak the question out in a flat tone the voice would come different. If people are always complaining about your flat voice then inculcate more emotion such as enthusiasm in your voice as you speak. Change your intonation and think before you start speaking. Practicing simple phrases with more or less emotion will help your case.
- Hold Your Nose as You Speak
Change your voice by holding down your nose and blocking the nasal pathway as you speak. This is not only a dramatic way but also a quick method. Close the nostrils and then start speaking. As you speak the air is supposed to shift naturally from your mouth to your nose. With the nose blocked the air the air finds no way of escape and as a result gets bound within the throat or the mouth possibly going in deeper. The pressure thus created causes the change in the tone. The chords in your vocals may vibrate in a different manner which would cause the voice to change.
- Use a Voice Changer
The last resort is to opt for voice changing devices. These can be availed online and may cost within the range of say 20-25$. The devices work differently and therefore one should specifically go through the details or the specifications before opting for a purchase. Usually these devices are portable in nature and can amend your voice in different pitch. Read the label for usage instructions so that you know you are using it the right way. Some devices may require a recorded message while the others can simply pick up from your voice. The sound can be altered and conveyed through a phone or a speaker medium.