If you are suffering from hemorrhoids you must always be wondering how long do hemorrhoids last? The answer is, the cause and side effect and recovery pertaining to hemorrhoid varies from one person to another person. Hemorrhoids that isn’t aggravated as of now would easily heal itself possibly in the following few days. However, if the hemorrhoid in question is inflamed or is excessively bleeding, it may take a little more effort to recover it. the intensity of this disorder usually determines the treatment procedure that would follow to heal the condition.
How Long Do Hemorrhoids Last – Types and Overview
Before we move to the question- how long do hemorrhoids last, here is a small information regarding the breakdown of the different types. Hemorrhoids can be classified into two segments or types- there is one internal and the other one being external.
- The hemorrhoids that form inside usually get formed near the rectal canal. In the initial stages these hemorrhoids are not visible as they are inside the anal passage. They necessarily may not cause any painful sensation as well. However, if neglected with time it may grow worse and deteriorate into a prolapsed hemorrhoid where the hemorrhoids push out during the act of passing bowels. Once in the prolapsed state these hemorrhoids cause a lot of pain. Once out of the rectal canal, you cannot push it back to its place.
- The external hemorrhoids usually form a brown lump on the outer side of the rectum area even though the location for it to appear may vary at times. Due to the area specified, a lot of friction occurs there naturally. The friction thus experienced makes the hemorrhoids more painful. External hemorrhoids also cause itching and bleeding. These may also deteriorate into a hemorrhoid that causes blood clots.
How Long do Hemorrhoids Last?
The burning question as to how long does hemorrhoids last is finally revealed here.
- Natural recovery
- Depending on the type of hemorrhoid: Even without the usage of any treatment procedure or any medication type, mostly hemorrhoids usually recover themselves within 3-4 days. The severe kinds of hemorrhoids may take weeks before it fully heals. Internal kinds of hemorrhoids usually would take about two months to heal. If the hemorrhoids are external in nature that develops blood clots the healing period may take from three weeks to even three months. If you have already developed hemorrhoids prior to this, chances are that you will contract this again in the future.
- Depending on the occurrence time: If you are experiencing your hemorrhoid for the first time, chances of it returning would be much low. However, if you have already experienced this 2-3 times before, it is more likely to appear again in the future. The number of time a hemorrhoid appear, the less likely it is to fade away fast. If you are obese in nature, pregnant or is engaging in anal intercourse – they are more likely to develop hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids at around this time would take much longer to heal.
- Medical treatment
Once you opt for a doctor’s visit, the treatment procedure applied will directly link to the amount of time it takes to heal.
- If you use the ligation treatment, your hemorrhoids would start fading away within a week. Here in this technique, a rubber band is used to starve the hemorrhoid out of the blood supply that helps them go down causing the hemorrhoid to dry out within 7-10 days.
- Using a coagulation technique can help you contain your hemorrhoids. Using an infrared device can help you coagulate the blood so that the hemorrhoids are healed within the first 3-4 weeks itself.
- If you are opting for a surgical procedure, hemorrhoids that are grave in nature may take several weeks to completely recover itself.
How Long Do Hemorrhoids Last- Natural Remedies and Cure
Its better late than never. The best way to cure hemorrhoids is by preventing it from occurring. With the small home cures and remedies hemorrhoids can easily be controlled and the further possibilities of it arriving can also be kept at bay.
- Topical treatments:
- Witch Hazel: Using an antiseptic cotton pad to apply the Witch Hazel directly on the spot of inflammation. This should be done about three times a day which would result in reducing pain, bleeding and of course inflammation.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is one of the miracle skin beneficial products and the application of this can reduce discomfort, burning, itching and many more. Use aloe gel to get rid of the discomfort easily.
- Butcher’s broom ointment: the butcher’s broom ointment can easily get your swelling and inflammation to reduce. Even if you are pregnant you are completely safe to use this. People with benign prostatic hyperplasia or high blood pressure too are safe to use this as a topical solution.
- Horse chestnut: horse chestnut capsules or horse chestnut tea can easily help you compress the size of your hemorrhoid while reducing the pain. However, if you are allergic to this particular substance or are having bleeding issues, refrain from consuming this medication.
- Olive oil and chamomile tea: If you want to reduce the painful size and appearance of the hemorrhoid, chamomile tea and olive oil are the perfect ingredients for you. Other such remedy can be almond oil that reduces pain whilst the baking soda relieves itching frequently.
- Triphala: Triphala is an ayurvedic herb which can be used as an ointment to compress constipation or bowel tonic which are some of the symptoms that hemorrhoid brings with itself.
- Home-made balm: create a balm for the area using natural herbs such as myrrh, bayberry, goldenseal root and white oak which can help soothe the pain or discomfort caused.
- Home-made tea: boil fenugreek seeds in water and ass honey or sugar to sweeten this tea. Consume this at least thrice a day to reduce the pain and size of the inflammation.
- Some tips for everyday
- Hydration: reduce the possibilities of constipation which may irritate or cause hemorrhoids. To prevent this drink ample amount of water and keep yourself hydrated always.
- High fiber: always consume a diet that is fiber rich which lessens the possibilities of contracting constipation and ease the bowel so that your hemorrhoids don’t feel irritated. Green vegetables, flax seeds and whole grains aid a lot.
- High Bioflavonoids: Bioflavonoids not only decrease the size and intensity of the inflammation but it also strengthens the blood vessels to stop further damage possibilities. Citrus fruits contain high amounts of bioflavonoids.