Coughing after eating is an issue that may be caused by a variety of reasons which include your body just trying to get rid of excess phlegm or because you are having a cold cough after eating or drinking. Coughing after eating though may be due to much darker reasons as well and needs immediate doctor’s attention to get to the root cause of the matter.
Causes of Coughing after Eating
- Allergies and Infections
People tend to be allergic to certain foods whether spicy, different or new. This tends to cause allergic reactions in the body like inflammation of the respiratory system that may cause distress in many people. Allergic reactions can be treated easily though if you already know what you are allergic to because then you can avoid eating the food entirely. If you are allergic to contaminants in the air then get your doctor’s advice as to what you should take as medication to avoid an unnecessary episode such as coughing after eating.
Treatment. First determine what kind of food is causing allergic reactions that are in turn causing coughing after eating. Once you find out the food that is causing this avoid it at all costs. Try and go for bland food next time if you cannot handle spicy flavours. If you see that even after stopping the food you are still facing issues then it is best to visit a doctor and get the medication that you need to heal.
GERD also known as Gastroesophageal reflux disease is an acid reflux disease that is caused by the malfunctioning of the sphincter. If the sphincter malfunctions then gastric juice moves from your stomach and into your throat causing a burning sensation that can lead to inflammatory distress.
Treatment. In the early cases of GERD you can use inhibitors like antacids to give yourself relief but if you see in a couple of weeks that you are still not getting the relief you require then your doctor might prescribe H-2 receptor blockers in order to relieve your pain to a great extent. GERD is something that if left unchecked can be quite trouble so get your system checked today.
Please check Remedies for acid reflux in this video:
Asthma is primary caused by a chronic infection that leads to the inflammation of your airways that stays in your body stagnant for a long time and only shows up when instigated.
Treatment. Those that suffer with asthma should be ready to manage the long haul because asthma stays with you for a long time. When suffering with asthma you must stay away from instigating agents to a great extent which include soy, eggs, peanuts, hay and so on. This will only instigate an asthma attack that could be detrimental to your life if left unchecked. Doctors will prescribe inhalants that can be used to open the air ways when in distress, corticosteroids to prevent infection and other means of medication to deal with asthma and coughing after eating.
Please watch this video for more information on Asthma and its remedies:
- Aspiration Pneumonia
Aspiration pneumonia is a very serious infection of the lungs that causes inflammation of the airways due to inhalation through the nose of foreign agents such as vomit, fluid from the mouth, food, liquid and so on. These agents enter the lungs and cause infection, inflammation, abscess and even congestion that is very harmful to your body. this issue needs to be dealt with immediately by taking the help of a professional healthcare personnel.
Treatment. Those suffering with this issue are tested for crackling in the lungs and swallowing studies to better understand why they are coughing after eating. Aspiration pneumonia is a very serious issue if left unchecked and can cause great distress in the lungs. Antibiotics are the primary means of dealing with the infection but those who have a more serious case of the infection have to hospitalised immediately so that they can be monitored and treated in the appropriate manner. Those who fail the following test have to be put on other methods.
Dysphagia is an issue that causes trouble swallowing food due to muscular issues or inflammation in the throat. Dysphagia can occur for various reasons and it is better that you get your doctors help in this regard so as to properly identify why you are having this issue.
Treatment. There are many treatments to this issue such as endoscopy which gives a person adequate relief when it comes to this disease. There are adequate training programmes as well to help a parent deal with dysphagia effectively in children so as to stop coughing after eating quite effectively. Dysphagia can be treated on various levels depending on what is available to you and at what time making it a process that you have lots of treatments for.
Preventions for Coughing after Eating
- Get Plenty of Rest.Resting gives your body time to recover allowing you to better address the issue that is causing distress in your body.
- Maintain Hydration.It is good to maintain hydration at all times as it helps to soothe the inflamed area of the throat. Sipping water or tea at all times is a good thing.
- Inhale Moist Air.A warm shower or steam bath can help to ease the airways by loosening the mucus which can help in relief.
- Avoid Smoking.Smoke from tobacco will block the lungs to a great extent and stop mucus from moving up to the nose which can cause coughing.
- Eat Foods Slowly.Going through the effort of eating slowly that is chewing your food slowly will allow for the adequate break down of food particles so as to make sure they reach the stomach successfully.
- Keep Healthy Diets.Any foods containing sugar may suppress the immune system up to five hours after the consumption which could cause added effects for infections and disease on the body.
When to See a Doctor
A cough is typically the reason why you are facing an issue with your body. A cough may be present for two reasons namely because your body is trying to take care of an irritant that is causing distress or because your organs are not functioning the way they are supposed to or if there is a blockage in your respiratory organs.
- The causes of an idiopathic cough are still a mystery. Some cases especially in women who have a low capsaicin threshold may have received an inaccurate estimate as to why they have a cough the last time they visited a doctor..
- In some cases comprehensive and elaborate testing may still fail to show the reasons for your cough which is why you could be having an issue with autoimmune diseases as well. It is better that you find the cause of your cough as fast as possible in order to avoid any major effects on your body.