The common signs and symptoms of strep throat in children and adult include the following:
- Severe and sudden sore throat without coughing, sneezing, or other cold symptoms.
- Pain or difficulty with swallowing, throat pain that usually comes on quickly.
- High fever, headache, abdominal pain and body ache. Lower fever may point to a viral infection and not strep.
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck. White or yellow spots or coating on the throat and tonsils.
- Bright red throat or dark red spots on the roof of the mouth at the back near the throat.