Bitters are best when consumed as teas or tinctures because the ingredients that are active can be readily absorbed via oral mucosa Whether you are facing problem of stress, infection, or you are exhausted since bitter substances will help stimulating your healing and vitality.
compromised or weakened liver system or functions often result in over persistent ailments. Bitter substances often work in stimulating the liver metabolic function which helps in restoring our body’s detoxifying organs. We here under mention some of the bitter herbal plants having medicinal uses:-
- Mugwort (Artemisia Vulgaris) :-Mugwort plant has been considered as herbal ally for women with particular benefit in regulating the menstrual cycle and easing the transition to menopause. Its leaves and stems are used as medicine. It is also bitter digestive tonic uternic stimulant, nervine, menstrual regulator besides anti-rheumatic. The volatile oil of mugwort contains thiyone, linatool, borneol, pinene and other constituents and also contains hydroxy-coumarines, lipohilic flavonoids, vulgarin and triterpenes. Mugwort acts as emmenagogne an agent that increases blood circulation to the pelvic area and uterus and stimulates menstruation. It is remedy for painful and irregular menstruation. Mild infusion is used as digestive stimulant and help in mild depression and nervous tension. It’s anti-spasmodic action may relieve persistent vomiting and used in treatment of epilipsy. One of main benefits of mugwort tea is that it helps in improving digestion, easing menstrual pain, reducing anxiety and depression, promote dream retention and help in weight loss efforts. Strengthen immune system, detoxify the body and help to regulate diabetes. This specialty tea also has some side effects such as allergic reaction and pregnancy complications.The specific benefits of tea are due to presence of flavonoids, triterpenes and other antioxidants compounds as well as vitamin -A vitamin-C and E Potassium, iron, calcium and various B family vitamins in it. Mugwort tea has got nervine qualities which is really good for treating depression, anxiety and chronical stress levels, B family vitamins in tea can boost metabolism increase passive fat burning which will reduce body weight and body operates at higher level of energy and efficiency. Tea settles stomach and ease indigestion and stimulates appetite and counter constipation and diarrhea. Some active compounds can also stimulate the production of bile which can speed digestion Mugwort tea is used for treatment of dysmenarrhea (menstrual cramps).It also regulate menstruation and support body as its changes through menopause. It stimulates urination best means of eliminating toxins. it can boost immune system. Vitamin A found in tea act strong antioxidant for vision health. It is believed mugwort tea is good mineraliser for bones help to increase bone mineral density and prevent age related bone disorder.
- Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) :- Is a perennial flowering plant bearing scented pink or white flowers, Pharmacologically active compounds detected in valerian extract are -Alkaloids, actinidine, catinine, valerianine and valerine, Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA),volatile oils and flavonones. there are variety of benefits which mentioned here under :-
- The most popular benefit of valerian is that it is commonly used for sleeping disorder. Gama-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is neurotransmitter that sends chemical message through nervous system, brain .It reduce activity of nerve cells causing reduction in time taken to fall asleep and improve quality of sleep too. With regulation of nerve cells by GABA helps to calm anxiety. Valerenic acid and valerenol contained in valerian roots act as anti-anxiety agents stabilizing central nervous system and help to keep your stress level down. Valerian acts as a brain reliever work directly on nervous system. Essential oils has significant analgesic effect and acts as muscle relaxant.
- Chamomile ( Chamomile blossom) : Chamomile, also called as “Babune ka phal” in Hindi. Its tea has a reputation for helping in healing, and with good reasons. It is prepared from dried flowers. Chamomile tea is among popular beverage around the world. It is steeped with both health and skin benefits that are hard to find in many other teas. The benefits of chamomile tea are in abundance. It contains essential oils composed in part of azulene a blue hydrocarbon. It has got anti -inflammatory properties. It contains resins, wax, fatty acids, bitter agents, chlorophyll and phosphoric acids and salts. It has good effect and potential when consumed via tea.Chamomile tea has 13 remarkable benefits. Chamomile tea has 13 remarkable benefits.
1 Promotes sleep and treat insomnia Chamomile tea helps in better sleep by relaxing your nerves and soothing nervous system. 2 Boasts immunity Chamomile tea works as great preventing measure,it helps in fighting harmful bacteria and boosts your immune system. 3 Treats Cold One can inhale steam of chamomile tea as a result of which it helps in easing your nasal congestion, sore throat and runny nose. 4 Reduce Muscle spasm and period pain Chamomile tea consists of various properties like anti-spasmodic and pain-relieving properties. It decreases the production of hormones like substance that cause inflammation and relaxes uterus. 5 Soothes stomach ache Chamomile tea has been considered as a digestive relaxant and is able to treat gastrointestinal disturbances include diarrhea,indigestion, anorexia, vomiting, motion sickness and nausea. 6 Skin Treats cuts, wounds and skin condition 7 Reduces stress Chamomile tea is a gentle relaxant & acts as an potent natural sedative hence helps in reducing stress. 8 Lightens skin Color Chamomile tea can be taken as a packs antioxidants that helps in boosting skin health. It lightens the complexion. also gives desired glow. It regular intake helps in lightening skin Color. 9 Reduces acne Chamomile tea helps in fading spots, eliminating acne scars and fight break out too. as it has got antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. 10 Anti-Aging Chamomile tea being pack of antioxidants, protect your skin from free radical damage.It helps in tightening the pores thereby slowling down geing process due to its property that helps in accelerating cells and tissue regeneration. 11 Treats Sun Burn Harmful ultraviolet rays of sun cause various problems for skin. Antioxidant present in chamomile tea has soothing property. One can soak the towel and apply on sunburn. 12 Reduces under eye dark circles Chamomile tea bags after use refrigerate and the keep chilled tea bags over eyes after doing an eye massage to lighten eye area and it reduces puffiness. Reduces under eye dark circles. 13 Gets rid off Dandruff Chamomile tea helps eliminating and preventing dandruff, it also helps in soothing scalp irritation and hence promote healthy hairs.
- Peppermint – It contains different bitter agents with many properties such as germ killing, anti inflammatory , cramp relieving, bile drifting, pain relieving etc. apart from this It can be used as mint tea which helps in fixing digestive problems like diarrhea, bloating, stomach ache, gall ailments and nausea.
- It is also used when you get common cold or are facing problem of insomnia or headaches.
- Mint will keep buzzing beneficial insects like honey bee as it is rich in nectar and pollen.
- It acts as room freshener
- Yarrow Plant (Achillea Millefolium) :- It is an aromatic perennial plant. It contains bitter substances, flavonoids, potassium, essential oils, essential minerals and many more. It also helps in healing wounds and limiting blood flow. It is used in gastro intestinal problems. it soothes fiver, improves circulation or blood and reduces menstrual bleeding.
- It promotes digestion and detoxification, fatty acids encourage proper bile secretion from gall bladder hence improves digestion.
- It prevents formation of gall stones.
- It may be effective against eczema .
- It can be used as first aid for ulcers
- Powdered yarrow leaves putting inside nostrils may help to stop bleeding.
- Common Sorrel (Rumex acetosa) :- It is perennial plant in grassland habitats and is cultivated as garden herb .Common sorrel is dioecious which means that male flowers and female flowers are two separate unit of plants. People commonly take sorrel by mouth for reducing swelling/inflammation of the nasal passage (sinusites) and also used for treatment of swelling in respiratory tract. Sorrel is used in sauce and soap.
Main benefits of common sorrel are as under:-
- Sorrel contains dietary fiber which improves digestive system, also improve gastro-intestinal health. It also reduce constipation and Dietary fibers can help to reduce cholesterol in the body, thereby reducing chances of heart attack.
- There is potassium in sorrel which is essential mineral and is vasodilator hence maintain the fluid balance of the body, which cause reduction of stress on cardiovascular system, relax blood vessels and arteries.
- Antioxidant components of sorrel are effective at seeking out free radicals in the body and neutralizing them before they can cause healthy cells to mutate in to cancerous cells.
- Vitamin A in sorrel improves eyesight and reduce muscular degeneration and
- Significant level of iron in sorrel boost Red blood cells production which prevent
- Vitamin C in sorrel optimizes immune system of body. Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) stimulates immune system and increase white blood cells in the body.
- Fresh leaves extract can be applied to infected area to reduce rashes and irritation. Dried herb can be eaten which reduces ring worms and itchy ,dry skin.
- Sorrel has shown diuretic effect, When leaves are dried and consumed within few days. So sorrel stimulates urination which cleans Kidneys.
- Use of sorrel boost heart health in general. Improves the condition of Diabetics.
Oxalic acid present in common sorrel plant is a toxin ,so eating of sorrel in moderate amount is important.
- Chicory (Cichorium Intybus) :- As a part of dandelion family Asteraceae, It is woody perennial herbaceous plant found in Europe, china, north America and Australia. It has long fleshy taproot a rigid branching hairy stem grows 3 to 5 feet. Roots may be boiled and eaten with butter. Leaves are used as salad. Roasted roots are ground and brewed to add a bitter, mellow taste to coffee and tea or is used as substitute for coffee.Chicory is used as a heart, digestive, stomach and liver tonic as well as diuretic and anti-inflammatory agent. Chicory roots contains inulin a polysaccharide similar to starch. Inulin is used as a sweetener in food industry. Polysaccharide of chicory has been investigated for its potential as pre-biotic and laxative.Traditionally it was used to treating mild fiver and jaundice, it also promotes mild laxative effect.Parts of chi worm infestations. Cory plant contain a mixture of nutrients ranging with proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, bio-active phenolic compounds and soluble fibers trace elements. Chicory comprise anti inflammatory property used as a remedy for head ache.
- Wormwood ( Artimisia Absinthium) :- Wormwood is a perennial herb with fibrous roots. It is naturally grown herb on uncultivated arid ground with rocky slopes and on the edge of foot paths or fields. It is a bitter herb which activates receptors(acetylcholine) in the brain which helps limit, decline of memory function in Alzheimers patients. Wormwood was traditionally used to treat. Benefits of wormwood are as under:-
1 Wormwood is used to eliminate intestinal worms especially Round worms and pin-worms. Scientific research show that wormwood can even kill cancer cells. 2 Wormwood can be used to treat anorexia,insomnia, anemia , lack of appetite, stomach aches etc. 3 wormwood extract use can beat Malaria. Artemisinin is a herbal antimalarial extract of wormwood used as powerful anti-malarial drug. 4 Wormwood contain antimicrobial and anti-fungal abilities. 5 Treats crohn's disease. 6 Wormwood are as good or even better fighting small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
- Gentian (Gentiana lutea linu) :- Gentian is most bitter perennial herb. The root of the plant and bark of it is used to make medicines. Following are the uses of Gentian:-
1 Gentian have been used as bitters to stimulate appetite, improve digestion. Stemless gentian is consumed as a tea or alcoholic. The extracts are used in variety of foods, cosmetics and some anti-smoking products. Externally plant is used to treat wounds and internally treat throat sore ,arthritic inflammation and jaundice. 2 Gentian is also used herbal medicine for cure of fever, hypertension ,parasitic worms wounds ,cancer ,muscle spasms ,sinusitis, and malaria. 3 It effectively manage dyspepsia. gentian tea is beneficial in disorder of gastrointestinal tract, skin , locomotor system,liver, bile. Gentian tea is also useful for fever, flu, rheumatism and gout.
- Angelica ( Angelica archangelica) :- It is biennial plant from Apiaceae family . Each and every part of this plant is used as medicine. Its roots are thick and cylindrical in shape. Stem normally grows up to six feet and is hollow from inside. Small flowers grows in bunches. Angelica contains anti-oxidants, vitamins, valeric acid, volatile oil which are helpful for natural treatment for skin conditionsSome of peculiar uses are here under:-
1 Best for skin Face wash is made out of angelica and skin is treated by it. It is best for facial hair removal and best facial cleaner. 2 Used for bathing Angelica used in bathing which helps in soothing the skin naturally and softens the skin and help to treat eczema. 3 Makes hairs healthy Roots of angelica has been used for hair loss treatment as it is enriched with Vitamin E which helps stimulating circulation of oxygen in the body and scalp. 4 Relieves from severe pain Angelica helps to balance hormones which provides relief from severe pain including menstrual cramps. 5 Digestion It helps in digestion by digestive juices secreted by Angelica. 6 Detoxification Angelica detoxify the body and help to keep away from fever, cold, lungs infection and arthritis.
- Cinquefoil (Potentilla simplex) :- Cinquefoil is perennial herb. It is found growing in dry open woods ,in fields and in waste lands.
- Cinquefoil contain large amount of tannins, making very astringent. Its roots are used alternative medicines as an astringent, antiseptic and tonic.
- It is used as mouth wash for thrush and is also used for dysentery and diarrhea. Medicinal tonic is used for fever and debility.
- Fresh juice of cinquefoil mixed with honey removes hoarseness and relax sore throat and for cough.
- An infusion of cinquefoil leaves make an excellent skin cleansing lotion used for redness of skin and for babies delicate skin. Powder of roots of cinquefoil stops bleeding. it is also used as an ingredient in many cosmetics that specialize in anti-wrinkle effects. Young shoots and leaves of cinquefoil plants are edible in salad.
- Blessed Thistle (Cnicus benedictus) :- Blessed thistle is thistle like annual plant belongs to Asteraceae family. Blessed thistle was eaten raw or cooked and also grounded to powder and then added to tea or wine to stimulate digestion and appetite or to reduce fever. It is used in the form of tea.Usefulness of blessed thistle are as under:-
1 Digestive health Use of this better herb can stimulate the production of bile .While a compound called cnicin helps to stimulate the production of saliva and gastric juices. By stimulating these fluids body is able to digest food effectively. It can reduce the risk of liver illness and gallstones. 2 Detoxification Blessed thistle is used as an ingredient in many herbal formula designed to cleanse the liver. Its ability to stimulate bile production, its natural way to detox the liver are useful. Some believe that it can be used to treat jaundice. 3 Helps Women Blessed thistle have galactagogue properties that stimulates the production of milk and also quality of breast milk and also menstruation. 4 Alleviate's monthly symptoms Blessed thistle may help to alleviate some monthly symptoms including headache, brain fog and all too familiar cramps. 5 Useful for skin It has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial actions can help benefit skin. Antioxidants in it help to keep skin fresh and young. 6 Acts as herb Blessed thistle is anti-inflammatory herb. 7 Anti-bacterial It contains two compounds polyacetalyne and cnicin which have anti bacterial effects. It,s antimicrobial use eliminates harmful bacteria causing diseases. 8 Diuretic uses Blessed thistle is having diuretic substance which stimulates the production of urine and increase frequency and flow of the urine. This is beneficial for illnesses related to kidney and urinary tract.
- Buckbean (Menyanthaceae trifoliate) :- Buck bean belongs to menyanthaceae family. It inhibits in wet soils. It has better taste bears white or pink flowers. The dried leaf or root is used for making tea which traditionally was used as digestive tonic and to treat fever.Benefits and traditional uses are as under:-
1 Fresh leaves Juice has proved to be effective in many cases of dropsical and when mixed with whey they can help in curing gout. 2 Dyspepsia and torpid liver is said to be cured by taking Buckbean tea with sage, centuary or wormwood. 3 It aids digestion and it also helps in gaining weight. 4 It is also believed to be effective incase of rheumatoid arthritis especially when the problem is related to weight-loss or weakness. 5 Plant earlier was used to fight against asthma, tuberculosis and heart problems. 6 It is still used as herbal medicine in treating many rheumatoid conditions. 7 Traditionally its tea has been used for irregular menstruation and to strengthen appetite.absorption. 8 It has been used external remedy for wounds, skin rashes, inflammation, itch,eczema and edema. 9 Peppermint and Yarrow mixed Tea is extremely beneficial in case you are suffering from flu, cold, nausea or stomach flu.
- Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) :- Milk thistle is an herb said to have properties that promote liver health .The seed contain silymarin a group of compounds silybin, silydianin and silychristin which said to have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects protect liver cells. Milk thistle get its name as milky sap comes out of leaves when broken. Milk thistles above ground parts and seeds are used to make medicines.Uses and effectiveness-
1 Diabetes - Milk thistle extract along with anti-diabetic drugs can decrease blood sugar level. 2 When used for a month a specific combination product that contains milk thistle plus eight other ingredients reduce the severity of acid reflex,stomach pain, cramping, nausea and vomiting. 3 Some small studies have shown that milk thistle may improve liver function in people with cirrhosis. 4 Several studies have shown that milk thistle may be beneficial for people with diabetes.
- Centaury (Centaurium erythraea) :- Centaury belongs to gentian family. Historically the herb has been used as medicine to kill worms and to treat dropsy. It is used as sedative and to treat snake bite and other wounds. This better herb and increase production of gastric secretions which stimulates appetite and improve digestion. The root of centaury plant is fibrous and woody .The plant has pale green oval leaves and a capsule fruits. flowers of centaury plants are light pink to red in color. Iwas used to treat fever hence named “feverwort”.
- Dandelion( Taraxacum officinale and erythospermum) :- Dandelion are tap rooted,perennial herbaceous plants grows in temperate zones. The flower beads are yellow to orange colored. Stem and leaves exude a white,milky latex when broken. The entire plant including leaves ,stem, flowers and roots are edible and nutritious.Dandelion is a rich source of many vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin A,Beta-carotene,Vitamin C, B (Thiamine and riboflavin) ,niacin,Vitamin B6 and folate, Vitamin D and E, potassium calcium copper,iron,manganese, zinc,phosphrous. Dandelion also contain many important components responsible for its diverse effects such as sesquterpenelactones taraxasterol, taraxerol,chlorogenic acid and chicoric acid.Health benefits of dandelion are as under:-
1 Dandelion acts as a diuretic and can treat hypertension ,liver, kidney diseases and weight loss 2 Antioxidant - Dandelion roots,besides leaves and petals showed antioxidant activity in fat cells. It is a rich source of beta-carotene and polyphenolic compounds both are strong antioxidants capability that can prevent ageing and certain diseases. 3 Dandelion has a anti-inflammatory capability. 4 Dandelion plant contains bio-active compounds that have reduced blood sugar in blood. 5 Its use may reduce Cholesterol level. 6 Due to diuretic effect and potassium content it lowers the blood pressure. 7 Dandelion protect liver tissue from toxic substances and oxidative stress. 8 Bio-active components in dandelion plant may support weight loss. 9 Its use may fight cancer cells. 10 Its use may support healthy digestion and treat constipation. 11 Its use may boost immune system. 12 Dandelion is useful in skin care and support healthy bones.
- Golden Seal( Hydrastis canadencis) :- Golden seal is a perennial herb ,it may be distinguished by its thick yellow knotted root stock. The stem is purplish ,hairy above the ground, yellow below the ground where it is connected with yellow rhizome. It is mostly known due to its traditional medicine.Golden seal is a rich source of Vitamin B,E,C and Vitamin A and minerals like Iron ,zinc, potassium, calcium and manganese.. It contains traces of resin, vital and important fatty acids and essential oils required for proper functioning of human body.Health benefits of Golden seal are as under :-
1 Golden seal has anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and astringent properties. It can be used to treat inflammation wherever human mucus membrane is involved like in throat, tracts, ears, and eyes. 2 Natural expectorant- Moderate dozes of golden seal can effectively cure cold and flu. It is used to relieve congestion and expel excess mucus collected from the body. 3 Golden seal is used to treat digestive disorder. The root cleanses the glandular functions in the body promoting better flow of bile and digestive juices (enzymes) ,it eases digestion and prevent constipation. 4 Golden seal is an effective tool in treating Anorexia Nervosa It is strong and potent digestive stimulant and tonic that is used to treat anorexia. 5 Good for women - Golden seal works to treat many urinary and reproductive ailments in women. It can also be used to treat vaginal pain, menstrual problems and vaginal inflammation. 6 Weight loss - Golden seal has innate diuretic properties. It promotes sweating and urination by dint of which accumulated toxins are eliminated. 7 Golden seal has potential to prevent fluids and other substances from accumulated in the joints. 8 Golden seal is used to treat skin ulcers, rashes , abrasions, swelling or inflammation. It effectively treats acne with no side effects. 9 Golden seal can be used to treat myriad skin disorder effectively. Herb is used active ingredient in various medicines used to treat eczema, itching ,herpes ,blisters and sores. 10 Golden seal herb has anti-bacterial and antimicrobial properties and can be used to treat wounds. It is natural antiseptic. 11 Golden seal can be used orally to improve hair health. 12 Goldenseal is used to treat dandruff and is active ingredient in many herbal products.
- Horehound ( Marrubium vulgare) :- Horehound is a bitter herbaceous perennial plant. The plant extract is used to make candies. The leaves were used for tobacco. Horehound consists of marrubiin, a bitter diterpene lactone along with alkaloids, choline, flavonoids, essential oil , tannin’s, resins, vitamin C ,mucilage and minerals. The plant is relatively small with small leaves covered in small hairs. The flowers are white can be used with leaves in extraction of essential oils. This plant has both medicinal and culinary uses.Health benefits of Horehound are as under:-
White horehound is commonly used in candies mouthwashes and tooth paste etc. Although this is very beneficial but excess use of it can be harmful.
1 Anti-inflammatory potential - For inflammation it can do everything to improve symptoms of Arthritis and relieving sore throats and coughing which often is the result of irritation in respiratory tract. Horehound is useful in connection with reducing constriction in blood vessels and lowering inflammation can improve health by reducing blood pressure. 2 Horehound extract effectively prevent cell death and reduce the promotion of cancer cells. The antioxidant quality has been shown in relation to colon cancer cells. 3 Horehound extract's regular use considerably reduce overall cholesterol levels. It balances cholesterol level eliminating bad cholesterol. It lowers the risk of heart attack by protecting arteries and preventing atherosclerosis. 4 Diabetes treatment - Along with lowering cholesterol horehound has also been closely linked to reduction in blood sugar level. Horehound represents very good solution for diabetes who are heavily impacted by blood sugar fluctuations. 5 Reduce toxicity of body as white horehound has its ability to induce sweating when consumed. Sweating can eliminate toxins as well as excess salts, water and fats. 6 Anti spasmodic - Horehound is used as an anti spasmodic.. White horehound can soothe the nervous system and is beneficial for suffering of seizures muscle twitches, cramps or other spasm related conditions. 7 It eliminates constipation and indigestion. Anti inflammatory power combine with anti septic qualities clean up gastrointestinal tract and improve its function. 8 Boost Immunity - Horehound has antibiotic and anti microbial properties which act as wellness booster. It has ability reduce stress from your immune system.
- RUE (Rutagravealens) :- Rue is a species of ruta grown as ornamental plant as it has bluish leaves . It is a bitter medicinal herb cultivated as condiment and as an insect repellent. Rue contains alkaloids which have anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic anti-fertility and anti histamine properties .Rue also contains rutin a plant compound which is anti oxidant and helps t free radical damage.Main Benefits of Rue are mentioned below:-
Rue in all its forms is poisonous should never ingested directly but balanced amount can safely be used. It has some side effects like it can cause severe damage to liver and kidney.
1 Skin benefits - Rue oil is used for fragrance in soap and cosmetics. It is not applied directly to skin due to its toxicity. Rue is known for some benefits for the skin. Rue helps our body to fight against fungal infections such as dermatitis and athletes foot. It also provides instant relief from itchy skin. 2 Anti-fungal properties of rue helps to cure De-complexion of the skin to clear skin. Antioxidant properties ensure that skin wards off free radicals that cause premature ageing of the skin looking young. 3 Hair Benefits - Being an effective insecticide essential oil and extract of rue are used to get rid of lice infestation. 4 Rue oil gives shine with health to hair and heal damaged hairs. 5 Rue contains neurotoxin content which relax the nerves . Rue is having effective sedative properties helps in desensitizing and relaxing the nerves. 6 Harmful insects can be driven away by use of rue thereby preventing spread of disease through insects. 7 Anti-bacterial- Rue with its antibacterial properties kills bacteria thereby protect from bacterial infections. Tea made from rue plant can be used to fight urinary tract, intestine and colon infections. 8 Anti-spasmodic- It is excellent remedy for muscle pain , anxiety and menstrual cramps. 9 Anti-inflammatory - Rue can seduce inflammation caused by arthritis. Regular intake of tea made of rue helps easing stiff muscles and relieves joint pains 10 Rue is known as an antidote to poison. It is effective on neuro-toxins (i.e. snake and insect bite which are neurotoxin), but can't effect
- Neem Tree (Azadirachta Indica) :- It is native of Indian subcontinent. Typically grown in tropical and semitropical regions. Fast growing tree that can reach height of 15 to 20 meters. It is evergreen in severe drought it may shed most of its leaves or nearly all leaves. The branches are wide and spreading . The flowers are arranged in more or less drooping axillary panicles. Bisexual flowers and the male flowers exist on the same individual tree. The fruit is smooth, white hard inner shell of the fruit is enclosed one rarely two or three elongated seeds having a brown seed coat. Neem tree is noted for its drought resistance. Leaves ,tree, seeds, roots bark also contain important compounds that have many medicinal and beauty properties.Every part of Neem may be used medicinally. Neem is known for its anti-ageing properties . Due to its anti oxidant properties it protects the skin from harmful ultra-violet rays ,pollution and other environmental factors. Vitamins and fatty acid in neem improves and and maintain the elasticity of skin reduce fine lines and wrinkles making skin look rejuvenated and youthful.anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of neem keeps the harmful bacteria and fungi at bay. Thus it protects skin and keeps skin related diseases away.Neem Herbal Remedy and its benefits are here under:-
1 Neem leaves are used to treat fungal and bacteria 2 We use neem to treat hair and skin issues. Neem tree extract have been part of many home remedies. 3 Neem tea is widely prescribed to reduce fever, especially the Malaria one. 4 Neem leaves are used to treat bacterial and fungal infections . They are used to treat warts as well as chickenpox. Paste of leaves is applied on affected areas or the person is made to bathe in neem water. It also treats foot fungi. 5 To ward off insects one can keep neem soaked cotton near window or burn Neem leaves to ward off insects .It is extremely effective and used to fight mosquito menace. 6 due to anti fungal, anti inflammatory and anti bacterial properties neem is an excellent may to curb dandruff, this makes hair follicles stronger, thus encourage hair growth too. 7 Due to detoxifying property it is used to treat eczema and other skin infections 8 Neem can heal wounds without leaving ugly scars. It also prevents septic infections, as it is anti-septic . it is used to heal wounds. neem oil contains necessary fatty acids,which also promotes wound healing and make your skin healthy. 9 Neem also has anti inflammatory property that reduces acne. Its oil is said to relieve from itching and dryness in skin. Neem Oil also prevents pimples and skin blemishes. 10 Neem is used for organic farming. The popular need cake , which is basically a neem seed residue which is left after oil extraction. it is extremely beneficial for enriching the soil. it brings down nitrogen loss and works as nematicides. 11 Neem is also an excellent source of moistrizer for the skin, By applying neem oil, the fatty acids and vitamins in it moisturize and condition your skin making it clear and youthful. The vitamin E in neem oil repairs the damaged skin. 12 Neem is used in products such as bath powder, shampoos, skin lotion, tooth paste . Neem leaf capsule is used for better immunity 13 It also works as a brilliant source to repel insects.
- Serpentina (Rauwolfia serpentina) :- Serpentina is a medicinal annual herb called The king of bitters. Despite its bitter taste the plant brings a lot of health benefits. the plant grows up to the height of 30 cm to 100 cm .Stems are quadrangular . Leaves are simple and normal unlike other plants, opposite laceolate to ovate-laceolate glabrous. flowers are white bilabiate along with spots of purple color in the lower lip of terminal panicles.
Research studies on extract of serpentina shows that one of the major constituents of this bitter principle an active ingredient scientifically identified as Andropholide which is both anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant. It can be used by mixing with other food so that it won’t have bitter taste. One of the chemicals in serpentina is reserpine, an idle alkaloid anti-psychotic and anti-hypertensive that has been used for control of high blood pressure, relief of psychotic symptoms.
Serpentina consists of many alkaloids from Indole alkaloid family such as ajmalicine, ajmaline, reserpine & serpentine. Serpentina can be used against headache ,cough ,inflammation or pain in muscles rheumatism, depression ,diarrhea and lot more. It consists of antibacterial properties that is really helpful in fighting bacterial infection. It is anti-viral which means that it stops viral activity such as HIV. It is also effective in certain type of cancers. It protects muscles of your heart,boost respiratory system as well as immune system.
Pregnant and lactating women are discouraged from using it because of its abortive properties. In order to use this plant it can be taken as dried leaves . It can also be placed inside capsule for those who do not like bitter taste.
Other uses are as under :-
|1||Serpentina leaves have analgesic and anti-fungal effects and is used as a pain killer and leave of serpentina also have anti-inflammatory quality so it reduces pain and swelling.|
|2||Due to its anti-bacterial properties it is effective to control diarrhea and other bacterial.|
|3||Anti-malarial - use of serpentina helps preventing parasite infection and multiplication in blood stream. it is effectively used to prevent Malaria.|
|4||Antihepatotoxic and Hepa toprotective - Eliminates liver toxins and protect liver and gall bladder.|
|5||Antipyretic- Use of leaves reduces fever and its property as an anti-oxidant it fights free radicals.|
|6||Anti thrombotic- Use of leaves of serpentina prevents blood clotting thus help to prevent heart attack.|
|7||Use of leaves protect heart muscles , increase flow of blood cleans the blood stream. Releases mucus in the respiratory system.|
|8||It is hypoglycemic and lowers blood sugar and protect against diabetes.|
|9||It strengthen the immune system.|
|10||Chewing roots of serpentina can effectively lower blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels and relieving strain on heart. It prevents conditions like atherosclerosis,heart attacks and strokes.|
|11||Uses of its roots has hormonal impact on body that can re-balance your mood and pull you out of mild to moderate depression. people suffering from anxiety or stress chewing of root can quickly soothe your mind and eliminate whatever has been clouding your attention.|
|12||For peoples suffering from insomnia, restless-nous, general fatigue use of root can provide deep, invigorating sleep. It is very good at relaxing the body and induce calm uninterrupted sleep.|
|13||Stomach relief - Use of roots of serpentina is effective remedy for gastrointestinal diseases for both diarrhea and constipation. It cleans out your stomach and promotes normal functioning of organ system, primarily due to its relaxing effect which gets in to your bowels flowing naturally again.|
|14||It can effectively neutralize the toxins of various bites and venom's , while also seduce inflammation and pain of effected area. This also act as an effective remedy for people suffering from arthritis,as well as tendinitis and gout. Finally root is used to break or reduce fevers, promoting rapid healing following an illness.|
|15||Use of roots is also beneficial for menstrual problems. It induces menstruation and also it has anti -inflammatory and mood-modulating effect that can eliminate depression cramps, bloating and mood swings that can commonly occur in conjunction with menstruation.|
Side effects:- If it is excessively used can cause vomitting, nausea, nasal congestion and loss of appetite due to some really powerful chemicals present in it like reserpine.