Baking soda is an all-round agent used in the kitchen for a variety of purposes. It is not only used for cooking but can also be used in cleaning, but did you know that it has its uses outside the kitchen as well? Yes, baking soda can be used in the bath as well. A baking soda bath can replenish your skin of its lost glow by reducing its acidity and eliminating all kinds of toxins. It works wonders on dry skin too, so if you have dry skin, a baking soda bath is just what you need.
Baking Soda Bath Benefits
- A bath in baking soda can detoxify your skin like no other agent. After a hard day at work, this is exactly what your skin needs to get back its natural alkalinity. People who eat food with high levels of acidity, like cheese and red meat, should especially turn to this agent as it can effectively neutralize the acid. On top of that, baking soda is readily available at low prices and completely safe, so you don’t even have to worry about side effects.
- People who have regular intake of caffeine, alcohol as well as nicotine will hugely benefit from a soak in baking soda bath.Baking soda will be able to reduce the effects of these harmful agents on your skin and leave it soft and supple. Even if you are on some kind of medication, this treatment is highly recommended.
- For people suffering from problems such as anal fissure, hemorrhoids and vaginal yeast infection, a bath in baking soda is a must. Since it is a natural and safe agent, it reduces the itchiness and redness that these problems leave in the genital area, without causing additional side effects.
- Baking soda is absolutely free of chemicals, which automatically makes it a much better cleaning agent than soaps and body washes. It is cheap and very good for the skin, and unlike normal soaps, can be used for bathing as many times as required without causing dryness of the skin.
Steps for taking a baking soda bath
There are various recipes of baking soda that you can use in your bath, however people should take them with a grain of salt. Although a bath in baking soda has no side effects, some people might get affected. For example, pregnant women and people with heart problems and high blood pressure should be careful and consult their doctor if need be. One should also be careful of the water temperature and should keep it at an optimum temperature to avoid dizziness.
Now that we have had a brief look at the precautions of a baking soda bath, we can move on to discuss the various recipes that can be utilized. There are primarily three baking soda recipes that can be used for maximum rejuvenation.
Baking Soda Bath: Recipe 1 – The first recipe for a bath in baking soda can be used to treat any kind of irritation and redness of the skin. First of all you need to fill your bathtub with lukewarm water, just enough to submerge your whole body. Next, you need to add around four or five tablespoons of baking soda to the water and stir well so that the whole solution is thoroughly mixed. Soak your body in the solution for around 10 to 12 minutes, and then get out of the bathtub and dry your body with a soft towel. You will find that the irritation has reduced considerably after a bath in this recipe.
Baking Soda Bath : Recipe 2 – The following recipe for a bath in baking soda is supposed to help you release the toxins from your skin and make you feel fresh again. Again, just like in recipe 1, you have to start off by filling the bathtub with lukewarm water, enough to cover your entire body. Then you have to add half cup of Epsom salt and half cup of baking soda to the water and mix thoroughly till they are absolutely dissolved. You can add some brewed peppermint tea to your bath to increase the effectiveness of this recipe. Finally, soak your body in the bad for around 20 minutes. This recipe might cause some dizziness in your due to the release of harmful toxins from the body, so to avoid that, just lie down for a while in your bed.
Baking Soda Bath : Recipe 3 – The next recipe for a bath in baking soda can do two things: first, it helps to detoxify your body, and second, it can reduce all kinds of irritation. Mix a quarter of a cup of Epsom salt, a quarter cup of baking soda and a quarter cup of sea salt in boiled water and place the solution in a jar. Next, you have to fill up the bathtub with warm water and add about a third cup of apple cider vinegar to the bath. Add the salt solution to the bath also. If you want your bath water to smell nice, you can also add some fragrant oils to the water. Finally, just soak your body in the bath for around 30 minutes, and then dry yourself with a soft, warm towel. Adding natural aromatherapy herbs like chamomile and lavender to the bath can also help reduce stress levels.
Some other detox bath recipes
Apart from a baking soda bath, you can also take detoxifying baths with other natural ingredients, like oxygen and clay, both of which can be used for relieving body aches and skin irritation. However you should always consult your doctor before doing the same.
- Oxygen bath: Mix some hydrogen peroxide with a tablespoon of dried ginger and add it to your bath water. Soak for about 30 minutes and then dry yourself with a hot towel.
- Clay bath: Mix some Epsom salt and a cup of bentonite clay with your bath water till everything gets completely dissolved, and soak in the water for about 20 minutes.