Through spotting before period, we mean light bleeding, which occurs between 10-15 days at the onset of the new menstrual cycle. There are varied reasons, which are responsible for this. Most women experience some kind of spotting at some point. Spotting can be an extremely embarrassing or even an uncomfortable situation which further promotes women for seeking out an explanation for the occurrence. This is mostly the case when it has not occurred before. In most situations, light spotting before period is not at all a cause for concern. However, when it takes place continuously or when it is accompanied by varied symptoms, it further indicates an underlying symptom.
Causes of Spotting Before Period
The menstrual cycle lasts for at least 28 days, which includes the time span of the period occurring for about 4-7 days. This takes place at the end of the cycle. It is extremely common for the cycle to be longer or even shorter that the time period, while your period can last up to 8 days. Vaginal bleeding takes place after the period but before the onset of the next menstrual cycle. This situation is referred to as vaginal bleeding. The spotting before period caused might be extremely light while leaving just a faint hint of pink on the underwear or on the toilet paper. This further includes few droplets of blood or a flow, which is heavy enough for resembling the regular period. There is a wide array of possible causes of the symptoms.
- Spotting before period, in situations of pregnancy, is a sign that the fetus has attached to the uterine wall. This might occur in situations before you realise that you are pregnant. Spotting takes place at the end of the pregnancy period on the mucus plug loosening when the body further prepares for labour
- In the phase where the body makes transitions to not have regular periods, spotting takes place. At the time of menopause, spotting might not occur when the body no longer experiences a regular menstrual cycle. In cases, when vaginal bleeding takes place before menopause, a medical professional should investigate it at the earliest.
- Most women do not have the awareness of when the body starts ovulating, but some women experience spotting which is caused by the increment of oestrogen which occurs during this time. The increase in oestrogen eventually leads to the expulsion of the uterine lining, which results in the period.
- In some situations, spotting before period caused before missing period is a sign of miscarriage. These often include symptoms such as lower backaches, cramping in the abdomen and even pelvic pain.
- An abnormal growth might take place in the uterine tissue, which causes Endometriosis. When the levels of oestrogen and progesterone drop, it leads to the bleeding of the growths. This further gives the appearance of spotting.
- The uterine wall faces a harmless benign outgrowth, which is referred to as Fibroids. These usually rupture which leads to spotting before the period.
- Cervical, ovarian and uterine cancers lead to spotting. In these situations, an ultrasound is performed in order to check for a growth, which could be a factor of contribution to the bleeding. Your doctor further determines if the growth is malignant.
- In order to maintain the lining of the uterus, progesterone is extremely necessary. A drop is its level leads to spotting which takes place just before the period. This may be light brown or pink in colour.
|Side Effects of medication|
- Spotting before period may also be caused by the menstrual cycle due to blood thinners like aspirin and ibuprofen. At this point of time, the body faces high levels of hypothyroidism along with insulin, which is caused due to the imbalance caused by the hormones. This further increases the risk of spotting.
- Vaginal discharge along with spotting is extremely common for women who use hormonal birth control injections, Intrauterine devices or even pills. Some women further experience spotting when the use of birth control options is stopped.
- The hormone levels face fluctuations because of stress. This causes the appearance of a brownish discharge before the period.
- Spotting can also be caused by conditions like cervical, polyps, varicose veins, ulcers, infections in the vaginal canal and others.
Home remedies for Spotting before Period
Spotting can be an extremely inconvenient and annoying problem; hence, remedies for spotting before period can be availed for control.
|Birth control pills should be taken.|
- Missing of doses of birth control pills frequently causes spotting before period or alteration of the menstrual cycle. It is extremely important to take the pills every day around the same time as been prescribed in order to avoid the side effect.
|Change Birth control methods|
- Women using intrauterine Devices frequently experience spotting. When you switch to birth control measures, it can help you eliminate the side effect caused.
|Limit Aspirin Intake|
- A blood thinner known as aspirin is responsible for causing bleeding.
|Get Regular Pap Smears|
- It is extremely important to take the time for checking cervical cancer before the occurrence of spotting before period. This is done in order to ensure that there is no kind of underlying cause. Cervical cancer is generally treatable while making a Pap smear a valuable examination.
|Keep a healthy weight|
- Conditions related to obesity leads to increase the risk of uterine cancer. This is caused mainly among women who have been through menopause.
- Stress results in the alteration of the menstrual cycle while resulting in irregular periods or frequent spotting. Managing stress by practising medications, deep breathing and others help in eliminating the symptoms.
|Long menstrual cycle|
- It is important to keep tracks of the days when your menstrual cycle starts and finishes.
When to see a doctor
Light spotting before period is usually not a concern but heavy bleeding lasting for several hours should be taken into consideration. Consult your doctor if any kind of vaginal bleeding lasts for more than 3 days.