Lip Discoloration Definition: The human lips (also known as labia oris) act as a junction between inner buccal mucosa and outer facial skin.. The color of the skin is determined by the presence of a pigment called melanin. The presence of melanin is much less than on the lips than the rest of the body.
Related Post: Swollen Lips Overview
What is Lip Discoloration ?
Lips are the most sensitive part of our body and the most prominent feature of our face. Every woman wants to have lips with red or pink hue. Hence, anything that is affecting the lips is taken seriously and treated with a lot of concern. Lip Discoloration is better known as Lip Pigmentation. Discoloration of lips is heredity in the African or the American people.
The color of the lips is generally pink or red. This changes to different colors like blue, black, yellow etc. and is known as Lip discoloration and affects people from all age group. Lip discoloration ranges from darkening of the lip color to the lightening of some parts of the lips, formation of pimples and rashes around the lip area. Lip Pigmentation can also be seen as dark spots or white spots on the lips and rarely a sign of concern. But if your lip discoloration is whitish or splotchy, then you must take extra precautions because it might be a sign of oral cancer. Consult your doctor immediately.
Related Post: Numbness in Lips
What are the Symptoms of Lip Discoloration?
The lips are the delicate part of the body and not taking proper care of it will harm the lips. During winter season, the lips need most care and concern. If you are not taking care of your lips properly, then your lips will become dry and then get chapped. Ultimately, the dryness will leave dark lines or patches on your lips. There are no symptoms associated with lip pigmentation but in certain cases you lips might show a bluish or purple touch.
Causes of Lip Discoloration
Is you lip color changing? Well, there are several reasons behind lip discoloration. It can be due to environmental issues, skin disorders, diseases, etc. To know the relevant reason for your lip discoloration, do visit a doctor and consult.
- Bad Eating Habits: Absence of nutritional food can cause problems such as bulimia or anorexia nervosa. Bulimia causes continuous vomiting and may cause the lips to damage in a long time. Moreover, a large number of people consume junk foods and do not include sufficient amount of fruits and vegetables in their diet which also leads to lip discoloration.
- Anaemia or iron deficiency: Anaemia generally happens when there is a shortage of haemoglobin (oxygen carrying compound) in your red-blood cells, turning your lips purple or black from its natural color. Sometimes, this pigmentation looks blue in color and becomes more acute in clod weathers. Anaemia generally occurs in pregnant women. It also leads to iron deficiency which will result in paleness of the skin especially the lips.
- Sun Exposure: Waxing of the little hairs around the lips may cause some irritation to the lips. So, if you are using acne treatment and immediately move out into the sun for a longer period, then yours lips might lose its natural color and turn dark. Too much exposure to the sunlight even without undergoing any treatment will led to skin discoloration and even burn your skin.The excessive exposure to UV rays harms the body specifically the skin and the lips.
- Dryness: The skin of the lips is always exposed and tends to lose its natural moisture even in a slightly rough season or dry weather. Lips look beautiful when it retains its natural moisturizer. The smokers, mouth breathers or lip lickers experiences dry lips quite often. In winter season, the lips tend to dry very quickly and start cracking. These effects darken your lips over a time period.
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and Habits: Your unhealthy lifestyle may leave a dark patch on your lips. Smoking is harmful to life and causes death. It also creates other problems to your body particularly the lips. The lip color becomes dark, fine lines, dryness and wrinkles comes on or around your lips and could later develop into oral cancer. Constant use of alcohol and other narcotics also damages your lips.The darkness on the lips and in the inner part of the mouth is known as smoker’s melanises. Some alcohols contain acidic components that leave black spots on your lips. Stress is another reason that darkens the lips. Chewing tobacco, areca nuts and betel leaf causes redness over the lips and leads to dark patches over the lips.
- Lip Cosmetics and Products: Excessive use of low quality lipsticks and lip-liners can also cause your lips to lose their natural color and cause Dermatitis. Dermatitis is of two types. One is Atopic dermatitis and the other is Contact dermatitis. Atopic dermatitis is generally not harmful to a woman’s lips but Contact dermatitis can harm your lips naturally. Therefore, the dermatologists suggest avoiding using the inexpensive and the low quality cosmetics on the lips. The lips also get black if you do not remove your make-ups at night.
- Melasma or Hyperpigmentation: Hyperpigmentation is generally caused by extreme deposition of melanin on your body. Melanin occurs due to continuous exposure to sun for long periods. It generally affects the exposed part of our body especially the face. The darkness caused by melasma forms patches on your face but you don’t experience any irritation like itching or rashes.
- Lentigo: It generally occurs from prolonged sun exposure and diseases like Peutz-Jeghers syndrome. Peutz-Jeghers syndrome is a genetic condition which leaves a flat brown or black spots on your skin especially the lips and the face. Hyperpigmentation of the skin and the presence of gastrointestinal polyps occur, which increases the risk of intestinal cancer. Some pay also experience dark skin patches over the deep mucosal lining in the mouth.
- Dehydration: Consumption of water is based on one’s level of activity and lifestyle. Dehydration generally occurs when the water consumption is not sufficient or due to lip licking. Dryness in skin often turns the lip tone darker. Dehydration also has many side effects.
- Cyanosis: Cyanosis happens when the haemoglobin level in the red-blood cells increases, turning your lips blue. However, when the lip color changes from blue to purple that means you might be suffering from central cyanosis which is commonly found in the tongue, lip or eye-area. Central cyanosis is caused owing to cardiovascular or respiratory disorders and varies from person to person.
- Hormonal changes: The major reason behind lip discoloration in women is hormonal changes. Hormonal changes generally happen when you are pregnant and your body is producing more estrogen or if you are taking birth control pills and receiving hormone therapy. In these cases, the discoloration will decrease with time on its own with minimal or generally no medical help.
- Medications: Use of different types of medicines also causes hyperpigmentation and discoloring of the body skin especially the lip, neck and chin. But the most affected part is the lips. This includes chemotherapy drugs, antimalarial drugs, anti-depressants, etc.
- Toxins and Poisoning: Lips may also lose its color by the different use of toxins and poisonous metals. These toxins are identified as bismuth, mercury, silver, copper, etc. Substances such as acids, alkalis may also cause chemical burns on the lips. This leads to darkening of the lips.
Excessive intake of caffeine and hot beverages like coffee or tea, allergies from a variety of lip product, injuries, allergic reactions, lack of vitamin B, serious illness like jaundice and common cold, bacterial infections due to poor mouth hygiene, being exposed to cold for large periods, etc. also leads to discoloration, dark and white spots on the lips.
Treatment of Lip discoloration
Treating lip discoloration is important because we all wish to look beautiful and charming. Smiling lips adds glows one’s face. However, lip discoloration is most cases are not a cause to worry. Lip Pigmentation treatment generally depends upon the reason of pigmentation. There are some physicians that recommend the use of products that have SPF of 15 or above when going in the sun for a longer period. If your lip color changes due to Anaemia then some doctors will prescribe an iron supplement. However, very little or no medical help is required if the lip discoloration happens due to hormonal changes.
If you have a darker skin tone and experience some lip discoloration, then you can get it treated by applying some cream that contains topical hydrocortisone, retinoid or kojic acid. Exercising for half an hour daily ensures the supply of oxygen to all parts of the body and makes our life healthy.
Lip Discoloration Pictures and Images
Images, Pictures and Photo’s of Lip Discoloration are as below :
Natural Home remedies for Lip Discoloration
Are you looking for ways to cure your lips from getting discolored? There are a number of home remedies that is available for you. Natural home remedies are effective in curing health issues. But you should choose one home remedy at a time. Test all the home remedy and see what suits you best. Doing all remedies at a time will not be much effective and may also cause some harm to your lips. Natural way to retain your lip color is always far better than chemically infused products and medicines.
- Diet: Junk foods like soft drinks, excess tea or coffee, sports drinks, etc. are known to cause lips discoloration. So if you are not suffering from any kind of health issues, then excluding these foods and eating healthy food in your diet will help you in curing the problem of lips pigmentation.
- Lifestyle changes: A healthy diet, along with lifestyle changes helps in reducing lips discoloration. Avoiding the consumption of smoking and alcohol will improve the condition of your lips and retain its color.
- Almond Oil: Almond oil moisturizes the lips and helps in maintaining their natural color. It prevents the staining of lips and also removes dead skin to restore the color of your lips. It contains many minerals and compounds beneficial to the lips.
- Yogurt: Curd contains some acidic properties that will help reduce lip discoloration and dark spots naturally. Just massage you lips gently with some yogurt daily and see wonders.
- Beetroot: Take a piece of beetroot, apply it on your lips and leave it overnight to help your lips absorb nutrients. You can also use Apple cider vinegar two times a day to reduce lip discoloration. It is natural bleach for your skin.
- Exfoliate: Scrubbing petroleum jelly on your lips with the help of a tooth brush helps you get rid of dead skins and chapped skins. Doing this once a week will exfoliate dirt and impurities that might have accumulated on the lips.
Some other measures recommended to prevent your lips or reduce it from Lip Discoloration are:
- Drinking of enough water to prevent your lips from being dehydrated. One should drink at least 10 glasses of water every day. Water flushes out the toxins from the body as well as the lips.
- Regularly applying 2 teaspoons of lemon juice mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey on your lips for three minutes. Lime is considered as an effective bleaching agent.
- Use a mixture of glycerin and rose petal and apply it on your lips for 2-3 minutes daily.
- Take a clean cloth, place an ice-cube inside it and rub all over your lips. Ice-cubs act a natural hydrator for the lips.
- Constant use of sunscreen lotions, lip balms and moisturizers also stops the skin especially the lips from discoloring.
- Applying a mixture of saffron and fresh milk cream also helps in preventing and reducing lip discoloring.
- Consumption of food that is rich in vitamin E and applying vitamin E ointments.
- Improved hygiene will control the occurrence of white spots on the lips.
- You can also apply white toothpaste on your lips and wash it off after it gets dried. This should be done twice a week for best results.
- You can also preserve the natural color of your lips by applying Vaseline on the lips.
- A proper lip care routine helps in controlling the appearance of pimples and rashes on the lip area.